cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rig for boondocking?

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of a new rig, and maybe a fifth-wheel this time. I have never towed a fifth-wheel before, though, and am uncertain whether that would be a good choice. Perhaps I can benefit from the expertise on this forum.

Our camping is almost exclusively boondocking, and typically older Forest Service campgrounds or “dispersal sites”. Maneuverability into these older facilities can be challenging, and the roads to and from can be rudimentary. Most of the rigs I see advertised are too big, but there are some 30-ft models that might be suitable.

I have been using an Arctic Fox travel trailer for the last 10 years, and a Nomad (by Skyline) of similar size for years before that. With a gross dry weight of 7200lb and a length of 28’-6”, the AF is easy to tow. Any TT or 5er I get will be fairly easy to tow, but what about backing in to a site? Any advantage to a 5th wheel in terms of control and maneuverability? Getting my current rig into a site without running over trees and rocks can take some doing.

What brands or models cater to boondockers? No fireplaces, crystal chandeliers, or TV Is needed, and I don’t think I have ever turned on the AC in any RV I have had. I do need cold-weather capability.

Thanks for any thoughts, or for issues that I ought to be thinking of.
17 REPLIES 17

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish I could find a place to Boondock… Trees would be a huge bonus! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
We made a decision, and would up with a travel trailer instead of a FW. At times we will probably miss the extra space of even the smallest FW, but there are some great features in the rig we bought.

Outdoors RV, Backcountry Series 24KRS. 28’-8” long, and just u deer 10,000 lb GVWR, so almost identical to my current rig. It will make 100 gallons of fresh water and hold 80 gallons of grey water, which is a big deal for us. Lots of insulation.

Now we are just waiting for delivery. The trailer is at the factory in LaGrande, OR, waiting for an air conditioner.

I sure appreciate the many comments people have made in this thread!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
what does a patio accomplish when you have a million acres of the Great OUtdoors?

The patio is one of the main things I miss about our toy hauler. It was perfect so the dogs could "be outside" without having to be on a lead and we didn't have to worry about them getting into ant piles or all muddy if it had rained.

To the OP, we boondock fairly often and find our height is more of a detriment than our length. We are 13'5" tall. Also our sewer clean out hangs kind of low so we have to keep an eye on that.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
We graduated from a 27-foot TT to a 32-foot FW a few years ago, and almost exclusively boondock in the forest. Clearance is occasionally an issue but ours isn't as tall as the larger FW's. Our biggest challenge is the rear jacks, which hang pretty low and will drag through some dips in forest roads. Keep an eye out for that. I still wouldn't trade it for the convenience of auto-level.
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
One FW I looked at (Outdoors RV) is almost 13 feet tall. Wow! Others are close to that.

I had not considered the height, but that could be a deciding factor. I appreciate you fellows for bringing that issue to my attention.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
ppine wrote:
A fifth wheel is easier to maneuver than a TT but the height can be an issue.

I feel it is just the opposite. The TT can maneuver easier than the 5th wheel simply because of the placement of the "pivot point" of the rig. The 5th wheel "bends" right over the fulcrum (rear axle) while the TT bends a few feet behind the rear axle giving more action to maneuver with.

Once you learn to back a TT you can put it accurately just about anywhere you want. It doesn't require the space to maneuver in that a 5th wheel does but does probably take a bit longer to learn to be comfortable backing because it reacts quicker to steering input than the 5th wheel. That is due strictly to where the pivot point is located.

For these reasons, I feel the TT is easier to maneuver than a 5th wheel. Agree with you on the height though! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
One of the local RV dealers offered to let me drive a FW with a truck similar to mine. I will take him up on that.

I like the layout of some of the FW units. I am still wrestling with size and the potential hassle of the hitch in the bed. I just want to be as informed as I can be when I write a check!

Years ago we used to see little FW rigs - Kit Companions and such. Apparently there is not much of a market for those. 30 feet is about as short as a FW gets now.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
what does a patio accomplish when you have a million acres of the Great OUtdoors?

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
We would highly recommend a toy hauler. We boondock exclusively and love our toy hauler with its patio feature. Perfect length at 37'

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A fifth wheel is easier to maneuver than a TT but the height can be an issue.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with other’s comments, especially with regard to overall height and bed clearance. We like the increased space in our 30’ 5th wheel, but not as maneuverable as a shorter travel trailer in tight older campgrounds. I don’t think we’d go back to a travel trailer, but just something to consider. That said, from an overall length standpoint a 30’ 5th wheel is more like a 25’ travel trailer, but the full 30’ of usable space inside. Height has probably been our biggest barrier in boondocking...hasn’t stopped us, but have to be a little more careful.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think you will notice any difference in fuel consumption, unless you get a FW 13+ feet tall, and tow at freeway speed. My FW is 12' 2"s tall, and mileage towing my 7x23 enclosed v-nose, much lighter snowmobile trailer is only slightly better.

An F350 SRW does sit quite tall. The shorter 30', sometimes referred to as 1/2 ton tow able FWs likely won't allow much bed rail clearance to your truck. Be sure to do some measuring before purchase.

Jerry

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting point about the height of a FW, considering trees and clearance to the truck bed.

I have an F350 Superduty, and that bed is quite high.

Taller means more wind resistance when towing, too. I have the power to tow, but maybe there will be a noticeable effect on fuel consumption.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A FW is normally taller, so not the best choice maneuvering in the trees. Also, dirt roads, with washouts, and rolling hills require a more than normal amount of clearance between FW and truck bed rail. I'd say 8"s minimum.

Jerry