cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to do with my hitch

jimcatinmi
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this is the right place for this. What does everyone else do with their hitch in the winter? Is it ok to leave it mounted in the bed? we do have a soft cover on the truck to keep the snow off but not sure what to do for the winter. We live in Michigan so we do get snow and cold. T
2021 F250 7.3 Godzilla
2015 Alpine 3010RE
Pullrite superglide 16k
23 REPLIES 23

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
It sits in a corner in the garage out of the weather. I take the head off and move the head and base separately to make it easier. Reese 16k.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
jimcatinmi wrote:
Jim&Sharon wrote:
Sure, you can leave it in the truck bed. Exposed to the weather, not being used, in the way of other loads.

I hang mine from the 5th wheel king pin. Put it back in the truck in the spring.

This is just my T/V have another truck if I need to haul something was just trying to figure out what others did with the hitch for the winter not looming for advice on how to haul something else.......but thanks
My Diesel is a dedicated tow vehicle and sits in the garage when not used for towing. The hitch has been in the bed since the truck was new. Have other trucks for everyday use.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I set mine between the landing legs of the 5th wheel. Stays out of the weather that way. I use the bed often plus tow a gooseneck. It's a BW so it comes apart in 2 pieces. The plate section sits in my storage compartment.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep - that puts the upward pressure on the fifth wheel plate without damaging the latch release. Just what's needed for the PullRite hitch, too. Thanks for posting that part.

Rob

RCMAN46 wrote:
I find it interesting that B&W makes a device that is used to remove a 5th wheel hitch that takes the place of the king pin.

B&W BWRVXA3130

Click For Full-Size Image.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that B&W makes a device that is used to remove a 5th wheel hitch that takes the place of the king pin.

B&W BWRVXA3130

Click For Full-Size Image.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
My whole hitch assembly including the head, Pullrite, has remained in the dually bed for 17 years.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Take mine out every year. I use my tractor with pallet forks. I put the hitch on the pallet and put it under the 5er overhang while the 5er is in storage building.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Superglide, I used a HF hoist to lift it out of the bed and lower onto a metal rolling cart, cover it with a patio furniture cover and store it under the fiver overhang. Now that I have the Andersen Ultimate, I just lift it out and set it on the same cart, cover and store the same way. That said, I'm in SoCal and don't have to deal with severe weather (unless you count fires and drought).
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours in these days as we only use the big truck for towing. It has a bed cover on it. But, in years past, we've taken it out and set it on one of those cheap furniture dollies from Harbor Freight so we can move it around the garage easily if needed.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years of hanging from the king pin hasn't hurt mine.

They is tuff little suckers!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perform seasonal maintenance on it. Make sure everything is lubed. Cover the bed and enjoy the winter.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I leave mine in all the time. I figure in the winter, I need the added weight back there. Mine is really heavy plus then I would have to find a place to store it.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I lift mine out of my bed with the trailer then lower it on to a hydraulic table. I roll it into the garage and throw a sheet over it. After six seasons, the hitch is still in excellent condition. Even with a roll top cover a hitch will condense moisture on its surface.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
frankwp wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
You have to be careful doing this with certain hitches. On the PullRite hitches, the latch arm under the fifth wheel plate can be damaged if too much upward force is applied by the king pin. On many other hitches it's no problem.

Rob

If hanging the hitch from the king pin damages it, then that hitch should never be used for towing.

I donโ€™t know the answer, but hitch jaws hanging from the pin is a completely different force than the 5er sitting on the large flat hitch plate. The first the weight is concentrated on moveable parts of the hitch latching mechanism. The second the weight is sitting on a flat steel plate.