cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hell's Canyon and region

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have decided to head here in mid October for a week. Want to hike, check out some small towns, and if the weather and water levels are suitable, maybe a boat ride on the Snake River. Also wouldn't mind seeing the Blue mountains on the OR/WA border.

It's a huge area, hard to know where to start or a couple of places to base camp out of. Anyone know the area that can make any suggestions? Thought about wallowa lake for a few days but it doesn't seem that close to the canyon itself.
15 REPLIES 15

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
Woodhead Park is a good campground, and should be mostly empty this time of year. Sites have water and electricity.

The facility is owned and operated by Idaho Power, so you can look for info through their web site.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Check the weather temp will go into freezing this time of year
Winnebago Access 24V

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the YouTube crowd just released a video on that. They did several other eastern OR vids as well.

https://youtu.be/8TE4GQjGUAw
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Hells Gate SP is great - but be aware, many Idaho state parks stop taking reservations after Labor Day & sites become first-come first-served only. If you get there between 11 AM-1 PM you may have the best chance of getting a site. Good luck!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is a good 2 lane paved road mostly, last time down(2 yrs ago), there was a bit of construction in the first few miles. There are twists and turns, not too bad, no terrible climbs or descents. Only thing to be watched is that the road is popular with motorcyclists and some spandex mafia (bikers!!) so you need to be aware esp on curves. Had no problems with a 34' trailer.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
TUCQUALA wrote:
Wallowa is a good spot for a base camp. You can head to Hells Canyon via Imnaha, great views, and lookout tower (open??). Also head into Nat Forest from Joseph on the Hells Canyon Scenic Loop down to the Snake at Copperfield. Nice drive, NF campgrounds along the way if you want to move around.

Is that drive down to the river doable with a 27' trailer?

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Wallowa is a good spot for a base camp. You can head to Hells Canyon via Imnaha, great views, and lookout tower (open??). Also head into Nat Forest from Joseph on the Hells Canyon Scenic Loop down to the Snake at Copperfield. Nice drive, NF campgrounds along the way if you want to move around.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking of spending 3-4 nights at Lake Wallowa State Park, Is that a decent spot to see some things? I realize there is hiking around the lake and in the mountains if the weather cooperates, and that will be fine for us. Is the canyon at all accessible or is it too far?

From there where might be a decent place to spend 2-3 more nights, seeing the canyon, possibly getting down to river level and getting on a boat of some kind?

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's quite a feet!!!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
A road trip to Pittsburgh landing is a trip you will remember. Nice camping at The Pink House Campground on the Clear Water River (?) BLM Camping. Two other campground close by.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No boat tours, eh? Seems like the whole country is in hell's canyon this year.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Hell's gate state park is at Lewiston. ID. Yes it is open and some boats maybe running but call to get reservations. We used Snake Dancer boats last trip up.
Hell's Gate
Could be getting cool in canyon.
Right now Covid is hitting some areas including ID. Follow the rules!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Three days in Hell's Canyon is like a week anywhere else."

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Woodhead CG & Hell's Canyon in July. Recommend both, we found shade sites when we booked online. We drove the scenic route. Hell's Canyon was a bit remote.
No boat tours this year, bathhouses were closed,if that matters.
happynow

Steve and Carol