Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small mistakes can make big problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Small mistakes can make big problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think you're having a bad day? I bet these people have you beat?

So I was setting up my travel trailer last night and as I was hooking everything up a young guy comes up to me and says "excuse me sir, I'm having a problem and was wondering if you could help me?" I said sure, what's up? He said he was new to RVing and he was having a problem as water was coming out of his toilet. I said what? He said "water was overflowing out of his toilet."

I thought he was yanking my chain until I looked about 4 spaces down the road and sure enough, gallons of water was pouring out of the underbelly of this brand new class C!!!

I went into panic mode and screamed at him to turn the water off NOW. We both ran over to his MH and he turned the water off.

Black water ( read, sewer water for you new RVers) continued to pour out of this new MH. I nelt down and found the black water valve and I opened it and out came a lot of water into the sewer drain.
I explained that he left the black water sprayer on and did not open the black water drain valve and that filled up the black tank until it was so full it overflowed into the MH.

I gave this guy a little more advice and I walked off numb. I wanted to cry I felt so bad for this young family. He explained to me he just wanted to have the perfect vacation for his family and now it was ruined.

The lesson of the day is if you are new to RVing and don't know your systems please learn before you go out on an outing. Small mistakes can turn into big problems.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Save that one for part of the next Chevy Chase Vacation movie?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He didn't have enough sense to turn the water off before he went looking for help?
He may be destined for more problems in the future.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

He didn't have enough sense to turn the water off before he went looking for help?
He may be destined for more problems in the future.

Ya, I thought the same thing. But after talking to the guy he was just lost on the whole thing. He just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I don't "think" it was a rental unit from some of the things he said and their were no markings on the MH that I saw.

I felt super bad for the guy. He was trying hard for a good RV experience but it didn't work out that way because of a small mistake. And in his defense it was a small mistake. [emoticon]

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is not the first person to make this mistake and he won't be the last.
Common sense doesn't seem very common anymore.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

And in his defense it was a small mistake. [emoticon]

The radio operator on the Titanic made a small mistake by not sending the message about icebergs to the bridge.
Stuff happens. [emoticon]

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle and Peeps,
I am just glad that you were there to help him. You sound like a very kind person.

Yes, we have all made mistakes!

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully the new RVer learned to not panic and approach the problem calmly but quickly.
Yes, we have all made mistakes.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully it was truly "brand new" and the toilet hadn't been christened yet. Send him out to buy a shop vac and dry it up. Then some bleach water clean up.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you said he left the black tank sprayer on. is it plumbed with a valve. On mine the connection is completely separate. the only way to do that would be to not pay attention.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Small mistakes can make big problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.