Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Storing ball hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storing ball hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Skipg

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any problem in leaving the ball hitch attached to the trailer after set up. It’s out of the way, and can be locked. Does the weight of the ball hitch hanging on the trailer ball lock cause problems ?

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

Does the weight of the ball hitch hanging on the trailer ball lock cause problems ?

Nope.
But I prefer having a trailer hitch tongue ON the back of all our trucks all the time. Sure helps when you get rear ended and the other guy's car is munched and your biggest issue is pulling his bumper cover off of your trailer hitch!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't think you'd want to do that, but I suppose you could.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about all the pressures exerted on that coupler when towing the trailer down the road. Braking, accelerating, torque when turning and even bumps/pot holes. Letting the ball hang in there ain't going to hurt a darn thing other than your shins if you forget to turn it back under the tongue.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do it all the time!! Locked, swung back against the jack shaft. No problems, and no grease on knees!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you find it more difficult to hook up?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to get rear-ended all the time in my old truck when we had a bumper-pull. That hitch was a godsend. I never had so much as a scratch on my bumper. I can remember most of the collisions pretty well.

* Very attractive woman in a brand new BMW in traffic. Her bumper was destroyed and mine was fine.

* A friend of mine coming down a hill near home. I was looking in my mirror and saw him coming down the hill in his company's van. "Oh hey, here comes Dave... Oh no, Dave's going to hit me.... Aaaand Dave just hit me." We pulled over and caught up on each other's family stuff and then I left him to make that tough call to his boss.

* Somebody hit me in a junker sedan in traffic and I was already running late. I waved to him and he waved "sorry", and then I kept going. He looked pretty relieved to not have to swap info.

* A teenage kid in a sweet new red Mustang hit me pretty hard after I'd just driven down to the Valley to have a new tooth implant fitted. He hit me hard enough to knock out the tooth and I jumped out of my truck like a mad bull. Then I saw it was just a kid and saw he'd destroyed his front end, so I shook his hand and told him the owner of the car was going to be way madder than I was, so I wished him good luck and sent him along.

So yes, I would leave the hitch in the receiver. It's one more layer of protection for you and one less thing to deal with when you come and go from your trips.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't NY State have a rule about the hitch not remaining on the vehicle when not towing?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Think about all the pressures exerted on that coupler when towing the trailer down the road. Braking, accelerating, torque when turning and even bumps/pot holes. Letting the ball hang in there ain't going to hurt a darn thing other than your shins if you forget to turn it back under the tongue.

Bingo...if the ball hanging off the trailer damages it, something was already faulty.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storing ball hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.