Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Storing ball hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storing ball hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Wow!

I pull more than 1 trailer, and always leave ball mount locked in coupler. The right one is there when needed. And most important to me, when I pull the ball out of coupler, put it on TV I know the coupler is open. Can't set the latch on top of ball.

Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must be the exception here I like to take mine out of the way.Its always well greased and keeps the kids from cracking their shins.Makes it easier to load and unload the truck

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

So yes, I would leave the hitch in the receiver. It's one more layer of protection for you and one less thing to deal with when you come and go from your trips.

I agree and leave mine installed as well.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all the "stuff" in a rear bumper now (sensors, etc) I always leave the ball mount in the receiver (or I use a "Bully Step" in the receiver).

Eons ago one fall, riding with my Mom in her monstrous old station wagon with a hitch, we were stopped at an intersections when she yelled hang on - we're going to get hit!!! A smaller sedan was sliding on wet fallen leaves and piled into the back of the wagon - it destroyed his motor/radiator/heaven only knows what else. My Mom's wagon had a tiny scratch on the rear bumper. But along with that protection comes the knowledge that sooner or later your shin is going to kiss that thing....

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family-of-five wrote:

I must be the exception here I like to take mine out of the way.Its always well greased and keeps the kids from cracking their shins.Makes it easier to load and unload the truck

Same here. I have one ball mount dedicated for the TT with WDH. It says in the camper whenever the TV and TT are disconnected. I keep my TT @ storage away from home, so it is always right where I need it. I don't want to hit it, get grease on my body or clothes, or let dirt and salt accumulate on it. I have one other adjustable height ball mount for all my other towing needs. It stays in my garage when not needed. It worked on two of my current vehicles, or I have loaned it to friends. Again, in my garage right where I need it to tow my smaller trailer which is in my yard.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, ill post the same answer here as the other thread. If you leave it in for a few years it will rust and become one with the truck. All good if you never want to remove it. Problematic if you ever need to.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

So yes, I would leave the hitch in the receiver.

He wants to leave the hitch attached to the trailer coupler at the campground, when he unhooks the truck.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He wants to pull the pin and pull away . I don't see a problem with that but you need to take all the tension off and It will be very hard to re hitch that way. If you have spring bars they need to be removed first. I personally unhitch the camper then remove the hitch and set it on a block of wood.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, thought it was to be permanent. Yes you could leave it in. Yes dont leave the bard on if you have them( I've actually seen that last trip).

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just leave it in the hitch/truck side for short trips. if im staying put for a week or more i remove it completely and put it in a storage cubby.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Storing ball hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.