cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V Refer Conv. Kit by JC Refrigeration - Anyone used it?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's safe to assume that most RV owners have experienced the trials and tribulations of owning the obiquitous propane/120V refer that is commonly installed by manufacturers.

I also read on another forum the move that some RV owners are considering when it comes time to replace their above mentioned OEM refer......12V and 120V refers and the conversion kits that can be used on the currently installed 120V/propane refers most of us have.

I have owned several RVs with the 120V/Propane refers. I modded most of them with fans and rear baffles/deflectors to improve efficiency. Improved slightly, but not what I would consider good enough. My refer is still not very efficient when ambient temps rise over 90F and/or RV is parked with refer side facing sun.

I have a 28' Toyhauler with a built in Onan 4K genny. I also have your standard electric/propane refer (as mentioned above). It is a Dometic DM2852. I am uncomfortable with the temps in warmer weather as I plan on traveling in the summer for several weeks at a time.

I predominately use RV parks with full hooks ups (90% of time), but may, on occasion, stop at a boondock area for 1-3 days (10% of the time).

I have two 12V batteries at front of trailer (only because I had an extra 12V battery that was fairly new).

At this time, I do not plan on solar as I do not boondock enough to justify the investment.

Considering the JC conversion kit listed HERE.

Perhaps some of you are familiar with this kit and/or have installed it on your refer.

Here are a few questions I have about this conversion.....

1. Are the OEM front controls on my Dometic what will control the new set up?

2. What should I be considering....12V or 120V conversion and why?

3. What else should I be considering?

Thanks!!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
6 REPLIES 6

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
What is the benefit of the kit vs just installing a 120v residential refer. The kit prices look to be from $700- over $1000.

The big advantage to me was the fact that I keep the same cabinet and doors which match thr rest of the cabinets.
No changes to the cabinets required.
Runs on 12 volts thus no inverter required.
Price for my kit was less than a replacement gas/electric absorbtion
unit.

YMMV

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am also interested in the 12V refers that replace the complete OEM absorption refer. Don't now anything about the pros/cons of such a change, only that it probably would require more mods to get it to fit properly and look nice once installed. Perhaps the benefits are worth it....New vs old rehabbed unit, larger, better insulation, close to equal in price after the cost of the conversion unit plus shipping, ?.

What brands/models are some of the better 12V replacement refers?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the benefit of the kit vs just installing a 120v residential refer. The kit prices look to be from $700- over $1000.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed ours in May of this year.
Could not be happier with the service and the results.:B
Keep the same cabinet matching the rest of the interior but get the
advantage of a compressor type (like a residential refer).
I have 1300 watts of solar and 400 AH of lithium so the 8.5 amp draw
is no problem at all.:B
No more worrying about level or over heating !!:)

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A compressor fridge.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am figuring on going that route when mine finally gives up. I will go the 12v route because you have a constant 12v whether on 12 or 120 volt. The controls on the front are what controls the new cooling unit so nothing looks works different that before. There is at least one good utube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yte1V3CkDrw&t=75s of someone converting their unit. They seem to be very happy with the change.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A