Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Western US Itinerary Help

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Planning a months long trip out west from NH starting in March next year. Looking to visit Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and giving that at least two weeks. Also we'd like to visit Custer State Park possibly Mount Rushmore. Planning to get to Yellowstone late May/Early June knowing that there might be weather issues with snow. Likely we'll be making our way up from Texas Panhandle. Any ideas on itinerary or places to make sure we see on the way from Texas would be appreciated. We'll have plenty of time. Also any recommendations on RV campgrounds near Grand Teton N.P. would be helpful.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
21 REPLIES 21

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Another question. In planning I see some campgrounds around Yellowstone are first come first serve. Am I likely to have problems getting a site that way and is there a viable backup option if I get turned away? Thanks

Best way to get one of those first-come, first-served sites is to show up at the campground about 9:30 AM and wait. Kind of a hassle. You can make reservations at Yellowstone campgrounds, though if there are no sites showing available now for your timeframe, you may have to call back periodically to see if there are cancellations. You can also reserve a site at a West Yellowstone or Gardiner RV park (private, outside the park).
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Warp's pioneer museum is neat if you like history,old cars,trucks,tractors,motorcycles,tractors etc. They have a campground within walking distance. It's about 10 miles south of I-80 in Minden,Nebraska.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Another question. In planning I see some campgrounds around Yellowstone are first come first serve. Am I likely to have problems getting a site that way and is there a viable backup option if I get turned away? Thanks

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Since we need to use hookups, our favorite CG for the Tetons is Colter Bay RV Park. For that one and for anything inside Yellowstone, you will need to make reservations as far ahead as possible (up to 2 years in advance for Yellowstone). Fishing Bridge CG is the only one inside Yellowstone with any hookups at all, and they are still closed through all of next year, to my knowledge (getting a major redo). West Yellowstone is a good base camp for Yellowstone - several good private CGs and a 1st-come NFS CG there, and much closer to the entry gate than CGs south and east of the park. Late May/early June is do-able, though not all CGs may be open if there is too much snow. I believe the private CGs in West Yellowstone will be open by then, however.

I like the Colorado suggestions you've been getting. Not sure where you have been, if you said you have been to 4 Corners area, but there is a ton to see in sw Colorado and se Utah - if you have missed either of those areas, it would be worth your while to catch up with it this time.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dedmiston
Road Phantom wrote:
I would stay west of the Tetons. Sure to get snow this time of the year.

Or south.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay west of the Tetons. Sure to get snow this time of the year.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a fun trip. We have been to Yellowstone and just went to Glacier this year. I would be concerned about the time of year. You might not be able to get in to much of Yellowstone and Glacier had only 15 miles of road open this year until June I believe. Based on where you are going and coming from, the east side of glacier is where you want to stay. It was closed this year so I can't say much. Definitely a place to get out and hike, plan on hiking up hill as it is just a mountain and all the trails are long and up hill...

In Yellowstone we stayed at Fishing Bridge. Not great, but not bad. But, a good location since most of the park is a drive between places to view. One year we had snow on the 4th of July when there. So, you never know. I would start booking camp spots as soon as they let you. It fills up fast. Same with Glacier.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
If you go out I-80,I would suggest a stop at the Harold Warp Pioneer Museum. if you like history,old cars, trucks, tractors,motorcycles or snow mobiles, this place has all that and more. They also have a campground within walking distance of the museum. If you camp at the campground,you get one free ticket to the museum. You can easily spend a day there.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
if doing Custer State park, I would absolutely do Mount Rushmore, it's like right next door, I would also do the Badlands and the rest of the Black Hills area, then up for a quick tour of Devils Tower, then over to Cody, good for a few days, then on into the east entrance of Yellowstone.

Add in Crazyhorse Monument while you're there. A couple of hours is enough to check out the museum and see the status of the mounment.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
definitely go to Black Hills. Plan to stay several days. Custer St Prk is nice but there also RV Parks in the Hill City and Custer area and you can still visit the park and Mt Rushmore.

Yes, this a one of the places that you'll want to see.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Hi all,
Planning a months long trip out west from NH starting in March next year. Looking to visit Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and giving that at least two weeks. Also we'd like to visit Custer State Park possibly Mount Rushmore. Planning to get to Yellowstone late May/Early June knowing that there might be weather issues with snow. Likely we'll be making our way up from Texas Panhandle. Any ideas on itinerary or places to make sure we see on the way from Texas would be appreciated. We'll have plenty of time. Also any recommendations on RV campgrounds near Grand Teton N.P. would be helpful.

A little more info on what your Mission is, would surely help. Sounds like you have done four Corners - San Juan's Too? - Maroon Bells - Utah RT 191 - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat - GooseNecks? - Moab - Grand Mesa - Dino - Flaming Gorge - Alpine - RT 26 Dubois - Victor - Island Park - Cody - .........Think you might be getting the Idea. Lot to see just depends on what you are after and what you may enjoy.

Just keep in mind that traditionally the biggest Snows come late in the season so April and May in the Rockies can generally be Just Beautiful - especially if you love those rocks covered in White ๐Ÿ™‚ - Passes tend to be the only real issue, keep the elevation in mind.

Let us know more and we may be able to provide more insight.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Devil's Tower?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itโ€™s a big trip covering half the country so a bit open ended.

In Yellowstone we stayed at the rv park in fishing bridge. Packed in like sardines but avoiding driving in and out of the park every day was completely worth it. Yellowstone is easily worth a week if you do any hiking or outdoor activities. Itโ€™s big, driving distances are long, varied topography.

Grand Teton we stayed in Colter Bay. Good location. GTNP is worth half a week unless you are into alpine touring or climbing. Itโ€™s much smaller than YNP.

Glacier is spectacular. Weather can be quite unpredictable, Iโ€™ve gotten snow there in August on the continental divide and had to end a backpacking trip early. Another trip I got eaten alive by mosquitoes. Another trip I got hypothermia in a sleet storm. In fact I have yet to spend any time in Glacier and not have terrible weather. I would spend a week in Glacier, but Iโ€™m a hiker. Note that the eastern entrance is closed this year because the Blackfeet reservation is closed to visitors. Maybe thatโ€™s not an issue next year, but with that entrance closed you canโ€™t access some spectacular sites like the Many Glacier area. Iโ€™ve never RV camped in this area, but anything near Many Glacier would be my choice.

In S Dak we really enjoyed the Badlands. Surprisingly interesting hiking. We saw a ton of sheep there. Camping options are limited, the KOA White River is a little old, pool was closed, golf is really run down, but itโ€™s quiet and shaded. IN contrast the campground in the national park is baking in the sun. Iโ€™d pick the KOA and I donโ€™t like KOAs.

Custer SP is amazing. Definitely worth several days. Mt Rushmore was open. The two caves (Wind Cave and Jewel Cave) were closed but the hiking was open. Deadwood was boring, We liked Keystone better.

Devilโ€™s Tower is cool and worth a day.

We really liked Little BIghorn and were disappointed not to be able to see the Wounded Knee site (all Indian reservations are closed to the public).

Depending on your route, There is a ton to see in Colorado. RMNP is gorgeous, worth several days. The San Juan skyway scenic drive is very pretty, not sure taking a large rig on it is ideal but I think itโ€™s doable. Much gorgeous scenery in the national forests, etc. Tons of mosquitoes in early summer. Bring headnets and potentially bug jackets.

Coming home through eastern Utah and Western Colorado you can stop at Flaming Gorge, Dinosaur NM, Arches, Canyonlands, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Mesa Verde and Durango CO. All of them are amazing, especially Arches and Canyonlands.

In both Glacier and Yellowstone you absolutely need bear spray if you do any hiking at all.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks this is a great start. I have been to the Four Corners and most of the southwest. Yellowstone etc was next on the bucket list.