Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Western US Itinerary Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Western US Itinerary Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devil's Tower?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wtmtnhiker wrote:

Hi all,
Planning a months long trip out west from NH starting in March next year. Looking to visit Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and giving that at least two weeks. Also we'd like to visit Custer State Park possibly Mount Rushmore. Planning to get to Yellowstone late May/Early June knowing that there might be weather issues with snow. Likely we'll be making our way up from Texas Panhandle. Any ideas on itinerary or places to make sure we see on the way from Texas would be appreciated. We'll have plenty of time. Also any recommendations on RV campgrounds near Grand Teton N.P. would be helpful.

A little more info on what your Mission is, would surely help. Sounds like you have done four Corners - San Juan's Too? - Maroon Bells - Utah RT 191 - Monument Valley - Mexican Hat - GooseNecks? - Moab - Grand Mesa - Dino - Flaming Gorge - Alpine - RT 26 Dubois - Victor - Island Park - Cody - .........Think you might be getting the Idea. Lot to see just depends on what you are after and what you may enjoy.

Just keep in mind that traditionally the biggest Snows come late in the season so April and May in the Rockies can generally be Just Beautiful - especially if you love those rocks covered in White [emoticon] - Passes tend to be the only real issue, keep the elevation in mind.

Let us know more and we may be able to provide more insight.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

definitely go to Black Hills. Plan to stay several days. Custer St Prk is nice but there also RV Parks in the Hill City and Custer area and you can still visit the park and Mt Rushmore.

Yes, this a one of the places that you'll want to see.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

if doing Custer State park, I would absolutely do Mount Rushmore, it's like right next door, I would also do the Badlands and the rest of the Black Hills area, then up for a quick tour of Devils Tower, then over to Cody, good for a few days, then on into the east entrance of Yellowstone.

Add in Crazyhorse Monument while you're there. A couple of hours is enough to check out the museum and see the status of the mounment.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go out I-80,I would suggest a stop at the Harold Warp Pioneer Museum. if you like history,old cars, trucks, tractors,motorcycles or snow mobiles, this place has all that and more. They also have a campground within walking distance of the museum. If you camp at the campground,you get one free ticket to the museum. You can easily spend a day there.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a fun trip. We have been to Yellowstone and just went to Glacier this year. I would be concerned about the time of year. You might not be able to get in to much of Yellowstone and Glacier had only 15 miles of road open this year until June I believe. Based on where you are going and coming from, the east side of glacier is where you want to stay. It was closed this year so I can't say much. Definitely a place to get out and hike, plan on hiking up hill as it is just a mountain and all the trails are long and up hill...

In Yellowstone we stayed at Fishing Bridge. Not great, but not bad. But, a good location since most of the park is a drive between places to view. One year we had snow on the 4th of July when there. So, you never know. I would start booking camp spots as soon as they let you. It fills up fast. Same with Glacier.

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stay west of the Tetons. Sure to get snow this time of the year.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

I would stay west of the Tetons. Sure to get snow this time of the year.

Or south.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we need to use hookups, our favorite CG for the Tetons is Colter Bay RV Park. For that one and for anything inside Yellowstone, you will need to make reservations as far ahead as possible (up to 2 years in advance for Yellowstone). Fishing Bridge CG is the only one inside Yellowstone with any hookups at all, and they are still closed through all of next year, to my knowledge (getting a major redo). West Yellowstone is a good base camp for Yellowstone - several good private CGs and a 1st-come NFS CG there, and much closer to the entry gate than CGs south and east of the park. Late May/early June is do-able, though not all CGs may be open if there is too much snow. I believe the private CGs in West Yellowstone will be open by then, however.

I like the Colorado suggestions you've been getting. Not sure where you have been, if you said you have been to 4 Corners area, but there is a ton to see in sw Colorado and se Utah - if you have missed either of those areas, it would be worth your while to catch up with it this time.

wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another question. In planning I see some campgrounds around Yellowstone are first come first serve. Am I likely to have problems getting a site that way and is there a viable backup option if I get turned away? Thanks

bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Western US Itinerary Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.