Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Boondocker recommendations?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Boondocker recommendations?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
JHinman

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking of replacing my 2011 Arctic Fox, but am not sure what to replace it with.

Our camping is almost exclusively dry, and normally older Forest Service campgrounds and dispersal sites.

Big deals for us are cold weather capacity, and larger waste tank capacity than we currently have. A more generous shower would be nice, too! TV, fireplaces, and fancy chandeliers would have no place in my rig!

I tow with a 2018 F350 Crew cab, long bed, so can probably tow anything that will fit an older campground.

There is a bewildering variety of TT out there. Any recommendations?

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ORV would be worth a look.

With off the path style camping you may want to consider length even though you have a formidable tow vehicle.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp that way as well preferring boondocking over FS CGs and stay away from RV resort style campgrounds. So . . . even though we camp that way, our current rig works well, very well for us. Yes, we have to be more selective of areas to fit in and roads going in, but we did the same when we had a 19' Sportsmaster, a 23' and 27' Companion, and our last TT, a 32' Komfort. All worked well for dispersed camping. All the TT's had smaller tanks, but our FW is well appointed and even though it has the ceiling fan, fireplace, onboard vacuum, and flat screen TVs, they are all nice when we happen to camp in a FS CG with electricity. Yes, that fireplace does heat the unit.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any chance you have friends who camp at the Colorado river? Or maybe join a river forum.

Those guys park trailers out there in super hot weather and have the money to afford a trailer with better than average insulation techniques.

Might be able to get a few trailer models that those guys like.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What model AF TT do you have now? AF is usually near the top of the heap in insulation and tank capacities. Not certain you can doo much better?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One could have a cargo trailer customized into a TT, with extra insulation and the exact items desired. I doubt it would cost as much as some of the high end TTs, yet it might be better built and have greater attention to detail than the assembly line stuff.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both open range and grand design have tested cold/hot weather ratings and large tanks in smaller trailers. If tanks are a big driver then grand design takes the cake with 80-90 gallons in 2x grey tanks on pretty much all Imagine models.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JHinman wrote:

Big deals for us are cold weather capacity,

What is "cold weather capacity"?

Arctic Fox, Nash or Outdoors RV is what I'd recommend if you want off the beaten path capable rig.

I had on ORV 24RLS for a few months. SOld it because I decided it was a dumb purchase since I prefer to use my truck camper.

Here's a video tour of it.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

JHinman

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cold weather means upper ‘teens” for us. That is late season camping at higher elevations in Idaho, but before it snows so much we get stuck.

I vividly remember the first time we took our Arctic Fox out. The first morning I was drinking coffee in my shirt sleeves, watching the sun come up on a 22 F morning. I was comfy and the heat was not constantly on.

Thanks for the video. Broadmoor RV is the dealership that sold me my Arctic Fox. The local dealers did not carry one with the optional double-pane windows.

We looked at some Grand Design products yesterday, and hope to see some Outdoor RV models today - a Backcountry 24KRS TT and an F26KRS FW.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JHinman wrote:

We looked at some Grand Design products yesterday, and hope to see some Outdoor RV models today - a Backcountry 24KRS TT and an F26KRS FW.

Outdoors RV is a sister company of Northwood. ORV builds their own frames, just as Northwood does. For that reason, I prefer those two manufacturers. Nearly all other towable RV manufacturers use outsourced frames from Lippert, which have some pretty sketchy construction from what I have seen.

Northwood/ORV build their frames to survive off the beaten path travel.

24KRS was at the top of my list when I was shopping back in March.
I saw one of the first ones off the production line.
Here's a video when I found them at RVs NW in Spokane.

24KRS Tour

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Boondocker recommendations?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.