Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Sturgis 2020 great news!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Sturgis 2020 great news!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ExxWhy

not here

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The final numbers aren't in, but it sure looks promising. Currently I can find only 103 cases of covid gathered from media reports, including 1 brief hospitalization. I think it's fantastic news since we have been told by the experts Sturgis would be a super spreader event. Anywhere between 350-450K people attended, no masks, no social distancing, elbow to elbow at the bars. Business as usual for the most part. Compare that to my home county here in Ohio (pop 305K). Mask orders, social distancing orders, stay home recommendations, bars close at 10PM. 160 cases, 11 hospitalizations, 4 deaths in the past 2 weeks. Sounds like it would have been safer to go to Sturgis and have a good time.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL...your a bit premature.
It may be best to wait for a actual scientific research in a few weeks to come out before you pound your chest and be like some that have egg on their face with opinions like that.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Party on dude, where do I send the flowers?

The older we get, the faster we go

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

It may be best to wait for a actual scientific research in a few weeks to come out before you pound your chest and be like some that have egg on their face with opinions like that.

Agreed a little early to pop the Champagne. Along with gestation time of the virus, compiling data from folks who traveled from all corners of the US to attend, many of which who won't share data anyway is going to be problematic for solid analytics. It will come and as we have seen in all case blooms, it can be several weeks yet.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem is they are toting it with them to anywhere in the US. Check out Laconia NH. this week.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure Sturgis sanitized everything with lots and lots of alcohol.[emoticon]

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Well it's been two weeks since the rally ended and it's pretty clear the numbers are down for last two weeks quite a bit from the weeks prior to the rally.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South Dakota is the 10th state in the country in terms of number of new cases per capita in the last 2 weeks. 323 new cases today.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-........52c8ecc-eb7c-512e-a313-be5e952ab191.html

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

ExxWhy

not here

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll take my chances with the egg and live with it. Apparently it doesn't matter in the least to be an "expert" to get predictions wrong. So since I am just an observer of information, I am happy to hang out on this limb. I will admit being wrong if I am. Will anyone else predicting doom and gloom around here promise the same?

I have been watching this closely since the event started. I read all the dire predictions and all the hand wringing by the experts. I have yet to see any of that play out. Let me remind you that Sturgis began a full 3 weeks ago and ended nearly 2 weeks ago. Unless this is some sort of special Sturgis strain, we should have already seen the majority of the cases. Yes, there is lag time in the testing, but there is no lag time in going to the hospital if one is that sick. I have found 1 hospital case of covid attributed to the gathering in the media. It's not for a lack of looking, no doubt the media is chomping at the bit to find cases of this so they can righteously condemn the attendees.

Speaking of the media, that is another clue that this will continue to be good news. Daily I saw numerous articles about it, 5 cases here, 7 there, 20 in Colorado, so many in Minnesota. And we get to 103 cases and for 2 days nothing new. They lost interest in the story, not playing out like the narrative said it would.

Interesting info from the SD government website. https://doh.sd.gov/news/coronavirus.aspx#SD Covid-19 occupied beds 3% of total capacity, non covid 51%, ICU beds covid 4% non covid 67%. More good news.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South Dakota Covid test positivity rate has increased 50% since Sturgis.

“ On Aug. 7, the opening day of the rally, South Dakota had roughly 9,000 COVID-19 cases, according to the health department. By Aug. 26, positive cases had risen to 11,500. The state's positivity rate also rose, from 6% for the 14 days before Aug. 7, to 9% for the 14 days before Aug. 26.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-state........9-cases-linked-sturgis/story?id=72621900

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Sturgis 2020 great news!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.