Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Hauling generator on upcoming trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hauling generator on upcoming trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget the hitch lock. They can take the whole rack and cut the chains somewhere else.

2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dry camp a lot on the outer beaches. Folks bring their gennies on rear bumper racks all the time. We have both Honda 3000i 150#s and the 2000i 45#s. Since switching to solar we now only carry the 2000i. I also see a lot of people carrying two Honda 2000is probably due to weight. This last trip the guy next to us had his 3000i in the front basement which is also common. Door open exhaust out with a fan behind to keep air moving. Youtube it for ideas.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the Predator how is it secured to the cargo rack?

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padredw wrote:

This is strictly for the OP and not for argumentation. I have almost exactly the setup he is considering and have made several trips to Colorado without any problems. I do use the generator to cool off the trailer for about half an hour before lunch stops and night time stops, and I do use the generator for brief periods of time in off-grid campsites.

To OP: note the 30 amp connection from our home base and the comparable 30 amp cables on the hitch carrier. Note how short and direct a distance I can connect from the generator into the 30 amp connection to the trailer.

I bought this used generator, the hitch carrier, and the wiring from a friend with the same trailer model as ours when he stopped RV travel.

[image]
Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum, width.

How is this generator attached to the cargo carrier?

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dpgllg wrote:

I will need to use it while 5th wheel is hitched so in the bed might make it difficult to get to and start.

Is your generator battery start? I'd be surprised if it wasn't... that should not be too bad to get to in order to start it?

Filling with fuel might be hard, but some sort of long filler with a funnel could be made.

I would prefer in the bed of the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hauling generator on upcoming trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.