cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S. Florida to S. California

Kennyr28
Explorer
Explorer
I made this drive in July via I-10 pretty much the whole way, Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles in a 25 ft Motor home. It was fine although pretty hot at the time. Thinking I'd like to try something a little different this time and it looks like I can go north from Mobile to pick up I-20 to Dallas and then up to Amarillo and I-40 the rest of the way. Should be an interesting change. What are your thoughts on this route vs I-10. I am a little concerned about the stretch from Dallas to Amarillo on Rt 287 and the stretch from Mobile up to I20 as they will not be on an interstate. If you've made this drive recently I'd much appreciate your thoughts and observations.I'm most interested in road conditions, safety when stopping, etc. I'll be going in early October.
Thanks
Ken
4 REPLIES 4

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Do this for a living. And, as you’re just looking for variety, my big truck route (follow exactly):

Out of Florida: Toll Roads to IH75N

2). IH10-W to the 15/67-N Bypass at Biloxi, MS to US49-N all the way to Jackson, MS.

3). Then, IH20-W to the IH220-W bypass at Shreveport, LA

4). That, then the very few miles to intercept IH49-N to Texarkana, TX.

5). From there, IH30-W a dozen or thirty miles to intercept US82-W to Wichita Falls,TX.

6). From that junction, US287-N up to the Armadillo.

7). Thence, IH40-W to SoCal.

This IS the pain-free route

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
You will like the new route better than I-10. Made both trips in the past year and several other times. Drive from Mobile to Jackson is fine. 4-lane all the way. Some construction just south of Jackson MS.

Go around Dallas. Several routes are good. From Dallas to Amarillo is a great road. Like an interstate without the traffic.

I-10 is terrible in so many places now through Louisiana. Either way just try to get through Texas.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

dedmiston
I've done pretty much the same thing to avoid I-10 and get up to the 40. I 40 is such a pretty drive compared to the 10. It's a fast road if you're in a hurry and there's plenty to see if you have time to slow down.

There are a few traffic gotchas along the way, but that's not so unusual.

I think it's totally worth the detour to get further north and enjoy the scenery.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
from Dallas to Amarillo on Rt 287

I make this route from Wichita Falls to Amarillo several times each year. In fact, will be doing so day after tomorrow. Nothing to worry about. The only adjustment I would make on this part of your route would be to avoid Dallas/Ft. Worth. Several good ways to get up from I-20 to US 82. One I will be using tomorrow will be US 69 from I-20 up to Bells, TX near Sherman. Then US 82 west to US 287.

I've also made the route from Mobile up to I-20 many times. There are several good possibilities--such as up to Hattisburg and on to Jackson. Well, I better leave others to fill in the details from Mobile to I-20. I'll stick to my comments about US 287.