cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a device part II

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
First thanks to BOBBO for understanding what I was trying to say in my first post, and a solution. Never realized that the 3rd brake light is somewhat “independent” in operation from the 2 regular brake lights. My solution might have been easier than his. I just pulled the 3rd brake light and tapped a pair of long wires To it, then ran all hidden up to the dash. Bought a red led tail light and a pair of 2 prong connectors and just set on toad dash. What I was after was not to see when the brake lights were on, but to see when my toad brake pedal was depressed. The 3rd light comes on when the toad brake pedal is depressed. Stepping on the MH brake pedal will illuminate the toad brakes(4 diodes installed) but not the 3rd brake light. Still have to look at the backup camera but just didn’t want to run another wire with connectors from the toad to the dash of the MH.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not having the best results with suction cups. But I'm sure you will figure out a way. Good luck with that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dangle from the rear view mirror? Cheap and easy.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Wa8yxm, this is a smart car and the brake pedal comes up from the floor, not suspended like most are. Those wires are under the floor, somewhere. Yes, it would be a shorter run if I could have found them. But thanks for the response. Now looking at some way to suction cup something to temporarily hold the new light up to the windshield while being towed so I can see it better.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
tarnold wrote:
First thanks to BOBBO for understanding what I was trying to say in my first post, and a solution. Never realized that the 3rd brake light is somewhat “independent” in operation from the 2 regular brake lights. My solution might have been easier than his. I just pulled the 3rd brake light and tapped a pair of long wires To it, then ran all hidden up to the dash. Bought a red led tail light and a pair of 2 prong connectors and just set on toad dash. What I was after was not to see when the brake lights were on, but to see when my toad brake pedal was depressed. The 3rd light comes on when the toad brake pedal is depressed. Stepping on the MH brake pedal will illuminate the toad brakes(4 diodes installed) but not the 3rd brake light. Still have to look at the backup camera but just didn’t want to run another wire with connectors from the toad to the dash of the MH.

You are quite welcome.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you got something that works for you. 🙂
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My suggestion was to tap that line under the dash instead of at the rear,. But it works the same way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times