Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even tho we're not in any hurry traveling, try going 1500 miles on secondary roads through every little town and village with 25 MPH speed limits and multiple stop lights. Then there's the areas out in the Farm Lands where the speed limit is still only 40 or 45, you can never get the Xmission close to overdrive.
I run 65 because any slower in Tow/Haul mode my TV won't shift up to 6th and much faster and I can watch the Fuel Guage go down.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

65 is fast enough for us.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Yep, it's the slower guy that is the problem. If we would just find the highest recorded speed on that highway and require everyone to run at that speed, just imagine how safe we would all be.

What might make sense is to actually understand that we are all traffic, not just those that run at illegal speeds, and instead of giving the fast crowd the consideration, but instead come back to common sense and let the fast crowd adjust to my speed. If they can't grow up it's their problem.

Reducto Ad Absurdum

If you read my earlier post, the ideal is for everyone to go roughly the same speed.

Politicians set the upper bound (and lower on freeways) but you aren't far off from how speeds are set. The primary tool we use is to measure the 85th percentile speed and round it off to the nearest 5mph.

The old slogans about "speed kills" is more correctly stated as "differential speed kills". Our safest roads by a couple orders of magnitude are also our fastest roads. Mostly because "differential speeds are small".

Moral discussions or police tickets have never been found to be effective in the long term addressing this issue. Setting realistic speeds have been found to reduce crashes.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I have said, I have drove millions of miles. Somebody driving 20 per below flow of traffic has never put me close to a accident. (Me driving 20 faster than flow has) But one thing I wish is when you are on open road, decide what speed you want to drive and hold that speed or slow if somebody is passing. You cruise control is everybody's friend. The 'he's passing speed up' is bullsnot. If I come up behind a slower car, I can check traffic behind, decide what will be better, slow a little, or drop the hammer. And if you step out to pass, get it done, and get out of that left lane. No matter ho fast you drive, somebody wants to go faster. The more time vehicles run side by each, the more traffic will stack up behind. And no traffic engineer can tell me the stacks are safe.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This idea of everyone going the same speed is not very realistic.
Most highways in America with speed limits of 70 or more have light traffic. Give people space. The faster you drive, the more room everyone needs especially if you are towing.

Ever drive the Autobahn in Germany? They have extreme differences in speed. The number one (right hand lane) are trucks going 45-50 mph. In the number two lane are mostly cars and faster trucks in the 60-70 range. In the number three or more lanes are people going 90, 100, or even 130 mph or more. People do not change lanes without changing speed. That is how you stay safe.

If you are towing, be mindful of your stopping distance.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby And if you step out to pass, get it done, and get out of that left lane. The more time vehicles run side by each, the more traffic will stack up behind. And no traffic engineer can tell me the stacks are safe.

That's the real problem, it's not the guy doing 64 in the right hand lane, it's the guy passing at 65 taking his sweet time causing the rolling road block.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

ifd22

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set the cruise at 67, even if the speed limit is 75 or 80. My trailer tires are rated for 75. Noticed while driving out west , that most of the traffic travels at about 75 regardless of the speed limit.

2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will do 70 mph when legal... because:

1. I have plenty of truck for my 12,000 lbs. trailer
2. Speed rating of tires are good ....Goodyear Endurance
3. Disk brakes on trailer for superior stopping performance
4. weather/traffic conditions permit...obviously

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

REMEMBER back in the 70's when speed limit was 55. Now we have unlimited fuel so lets all do our part to use as much as we can. It's never going to run out. I run around 62. I've always gotten where I was going. I'm retired, time is what I have. More time than money,so I slow it down and last trip 14.9 mpg. And when a tire (tires) blew, I think I wss more in control at 60+ that say 75.Do what you need to do but please don't take me out or hold up traffic when you have a high speed oop's

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen a post gain so much attention as this one on speed !! Seems that most folks are kind of sensitive about their speed. I can remember the oil embargo of the 70's, fuel rationing, long lines at the pumps and stations totally out of gas. When the speed limit was reduced to 55 most people adhered to it and I think some of them realized speed kills MPG on any vehicle. My last tow vehicle was a 96 Ford F250 with the 7.5 gas (460 cu in) and it got 9 and 10 miles to the gallon all the time. Once when running in fog early one morning after a fill up before hitting the Interstate I realized my fuel gauge was not moving much at my speed of 45/50 mph. I got off to top the tank and actually do a hand calculation and was amazed to see 14.4 mpg!! Speed kills mpg.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.