Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Anyone that says they get their best mileage at 72 MPH is not in touch with reality. Since aerodynamic drag increases dramatically as speed increases, it is impossible to reverse basic laws of physics. Slow down AND grow up.

Another city dweller that lives in an area your lucky to maintain 55. Go west I know my vehicle & worked numbers for many years an know where my vehicle runs best. Diesels love to work and work best pulling loads, that's why you never see gas long hauls. 72mph the engines loafing at 2000 rpm, right in the power range:
Per Ford:
Horsepower: 450 hp at 2,800 rpm
Torque: 935 lb?ft at 1,600 rpm
Jump in your Prius and drive on.

* This post was edited 09/02/20 04:16pm by an administrator/moderator *

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I continue to be amazed at how people are so sensitive to speed and others getting in their way!! If 60 mph in an RV (that's a mile per minute) is not fast enough maybe you should consider another mode of transportation. Driving in other types of vehicles is a different consideration and speeds can increase in a prudent manner. Any type of RV both those you drive or tow should travel somewhat slower or as close as possible to the posted speed. The vast majority of drivers today want to travel 10 to 15 mph over the posted speed.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the analogy about speed differences that was posted earlier. If you can't avoid a stalled car in the right hand lane on 4 lane road when driving at 20 mph, maybe it's you that doesn't belong on that road.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

I like the analogy about speed differences that was posted earlier. If you can't avoid a stalled car in the right hand lane on 4 lane road when driving at 20 mph, maybe it's you that doesn't belong on that road.

It's not really that simple. Accidents from people driving too slow are caused by a line of cars coming up behind that car going with the flow of traffic- each one further back in the flow with increasingly limited visibility to slow car. If the first car in the flow approaching the slower vehicle changes lanes quickly to avoid the slower car, there is now a greater risk of the remaining cars hitting the slower one or swerving and hitting someone else. Or slamming on their brakes and creating a chain reaction. It happens all the time. No one in a flow of traffic going 70 expects to come up on one going 50. And it's an unrealistic expectation that everyone needs to watch out for you because you decide it's better to go 20 mph slower than everyone else going the speed limit. You might be within the law but you have decided to be purposely slower than everyone else and invite risk as a result. There's a lot of criticality on here that the road is yours and I can go as fast as I want. Well I find that hypocritical. The approach that "I will go as slow as I want and everyone better watch out for me" is the same thing. The flow of traffic is statistically the safest. Being an outlier and going much faster or much slower than everyone else invites risk. It's how most accidents happen on highways.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive at 68, tire are rated higher but at 70 the mileage falls like a rock. I do see on I75 many trailers at 60 or 62 this is a bad thing because as cars move into the left lane they leave a 60+ zone and go into a 80+ zone. A lot of brake lights and a nasty experience for all.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

It's not really that simple. Accidents from people driving too slow are caused by a line of cars coming up behind that car going with the flow of traffic- each one further back in the flow with increasingly limited visibility to slow car. If the first car in the flow approaching the slower vehicle changes lanes quickly to avoid the slower car, there is now a greater risk of the remaining cars hitting the slower one or swerving and hitting someone else. Or slamming on their brakes and creating a chain reaction. It happens all the time. No one in a flow of traffic going 70 expects to come up on one going 50. And it's an unrealistic expectation that everyone needs to watch out for you because you decide it's better to go 20 mph slower than everyone else going the speed limit. You might be within the law but you have decided to be purposely slower than everyone else and invite risk as a result. There's a lot of criticality on here that the road is yours and I can go as fast as I want. Well I find that hypocritical. The approach that "I will go as slow as I want and everyone better watch out for me" is the same thing. The flow of traffic is statistically the safest. Being an outlier and going much faster or much slower than everyone else invites risk. It's how most accidents happen on highways.

Thank you you've provided a very good example of what happens when people don't look ahead and anticipate while they drive and the resulting accidents.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you have plenty of power and the right tires for speed, you still have the problem of being able to stop. That is why RVs should be going much over 65-70 even on open roads with plenty of room.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

I drive at 68, tire are rated higher but at 70 the mileage falls like a rock. I do see on I75 many trailers at 60 or 62 this is a bad thing because as cars move into the left lane they leave a 60+ zone and go into a 80+ zone. A lot of brake lights and a nasty experience for all.

Sure, only those that drive sensibly and within the speed limits should be inconvenienced.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem is too many people won't "flow with traffic." If everyone would just try to stay close to the speed limit......give or take 5 mph there might be less accidents. The irresponsible people trying to run 10 to 15 over the posted speeds make it so hard to change lanes or prepare for your exit ramp.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

And just exactly how is the reactions of other drivers different for a stopped car in 20 MPH traffic? The below average driver will witch for a minute about the obstruction, but most times, no paint is exchanged. But the "My snot is in good shape! I'm a great drive!" can't cope? All want to yell "Get Off My Road!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.