Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
daugen

Bucks County PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems there are a lot of impatient folks on the road with a ME FIRST attitude. Frankly I have little sympathy for someone doing 15-20 over the limit and then getting annoyed at me doing 5-10 under limit in an rv. What ever happened to Share The Road? I've driven the Autobahn and speed differentials are an issue but they seem to make it work.

I'm almost always on cruise control, to be consistent, and wish more rv's had adaptive cruise like my car. Otherwise I worry about texting fools driving right into my rear bumper.

We have so many Left Lane Louises in this country that traffic flow is a problem no matter what. I've always felt that if overtaking another vehicle, and there's someone behind me, I'd better be doing at least 5mph more than overtaken vehicle. Left lane is for passing only, a very hard concept for many.

On I-95 with typical 70mph limit, on any of my rv's I am usually doing 62-65mph, with my lights on, and simply do not believe if I'm in the right lane I'm doing anything inconsiderate. I will not be a lemming going over the cliff...

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been following this topic with much interest. Disclaimer, we are in the 63-65 MPH range when towing. One thing that I have not seen mentioned is controlling and stopping the trailer in an emergency situation. Some trailers are equipped with disc brakes which makes panic stopping much easier to control. However the vast majority have the OEM electric brakes which basically doubles, or more, your stopping distance. I have also seen more trailers than I care to count with noticeable sway when they pass me at considerably higher speeds. I just hope I am not in the way if they lose control. I have seen first hand what happens and it never ends well. So for our best MPG and comfort level for controlling and stopping, we will continue in the 63-65 MPH range. We are cognizant of faster vehicles overtaking us and do our best to stay (get) out of their way.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"California seems to get a few things right and the rest wrong.

YEP like cheap booze!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only pulled a 5th wheel approx 5000 miles, which is probably a lot less than most of you. About 90% of those miles are interstate. I have always been able to find another RV, a big rig or a farmer pulling pigs in a trailer doing around 65 or just under to follow. Before long there have always been others content to follow us while allowing traffic to fly by in the left lane. 63-65 is where I feel comfortable if I had to make any form of emergency maneuver, so that is what I will be doing. Safe travels!!

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Very seldom that semis run at their speed limit, now days the limits are 65 autos, 60 trucks most semis run between 65 and 70, autos 65 and 75.
Running 20 mph below the flow of traffic in the right lane, basically setup a rolling road block.
Rolling roadblock? That's what that passing lane is for. If people would drive like they should, i.e. move over to pass and then move back over to their original lane, it wouldn't be an issue, but instead you have people that pull into the right lane and just sit there, even when they could get back over. There's your rolling roadblock.

Makes a person wonder how they keep the autobahns in Germany from being endless car wrecks, when you have people driving 100+mph and other people doing 60-70 mph. Oh yeah, they know how to drive.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Rolling roadblock? That's what that passing lane is for. If people would drive like they should, i.e. move over to pass and then move back over to their original lane, it wouldn't be an issue, but instead you have people that pull into the right lane and just sit there, even when they could get back over. There's your rolling roadblock.

Huh? I guess you mean left lane? Who knows, the whole darn thing is reversed in the populated places. For example, the Washington/ Baltimore crowd comes down a ramp and goes to the far left, then they always pass on the right.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Huh? I guess you mean left lane? Who knows, the whole darn thing is reversed in the populated places. For example, the Washington/ Baltimore crowd comes down a ramp and goes to the far left, then they always pass on the right.
This is bad behavior and should be getting a citation. Although most of the roads like this are running well over design capacity and should be improved.

Anyway this is another reason I look forward to self driving vehicles.

* This post was edited 09/06/20 01:25pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So is the posted 75mph a “mandated cruising speed”?

What’s a rolling roadblock on the open multi lane highway is pilots who do the 5 mile cruise control pass at .08576 mph faster than the double 53ft trailer road train...

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Oops, yes, I did mean the left lane when I said right lane. There's some dumb intersections out there, but the ones that are the worst are the ones where incoming traffic merges from the left.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"California seems to get a few things right and the rest wrong.

YEP like cheap booze!!!

They have way too many things known to cause cancer in CA. Great reason not to live there so we don't get cancer.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.