Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wide open roads 75mph "EQUIPPED PROPERLY" is NOT a problem.

Does properly equipped include the driver? That Dodge on it's roof doesn't look like it was properly equipped for that trip. No doubt he was feeling bulletproof driving a dually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNA4lqoS3A0

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wide open roads 75mph "EQUIPPED PROPERLY" is NOT a problem.

Does properly equipped include the driver? That Dodge on it's roof doesn't look like it was properly equipped for that trip. No doubt he was feeling bulletproof driving a dually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNA4lqoS3A0

Not sure you can compare that comment to a rollover on the ice. That can happen to anyone at any speed. That was also not a straight road.

That looks to be one of those scenic side roads that people mention in this thread. Sometimes the side roads are the most dangerous due to narrow shoulders and unexpected curves...

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F350 6.7 w an SCT tuner towing 14k at 70-72, that's the speed this truck likes for best fuel mileage. The 5W had LT tires before I took possession. Why drive 65, that was speed when ST tires were rated at 65, old school. If you have good equipment & tires why not drive the speed limit?

[image]
I drove this 750K in the 11 western states grossing 80,000 at what ever the posted speed was, 75 posted 75 on the speedo,Detroit readout & GPS. No accidents.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

My combination has a sweet spot about 62 mph. Have found going close to 70 saves no time for the long haul do to reduced economy and more fuel stops.

same here on the 62 mph was our trucks best mileage. Insane is to have 80 MPH speed limits. Might go faster if an MS-13 was on our tail chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get me wrong when I am not towing I have the cruise set 5 to 7 over on a long trip.
And if you are going 45 mph I will be slowing down to pass or follow you for as long as it takes to go around safely. No trouble at all. I leave plenty of space.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

F350 6.7 w an SCT tuner towing 14k at 70-72, that's the speed this truck likes for best fuel mileage. The 5W had LT tires before I took possession. Why drive 65, that was speed when ST tires were rated at 65, old school. If you have good equipment & tires why not drive the speed limit?

I drove this 750K in the 11 western states grossing 80,000 at what ever the posted speed was, 75 posted 75 on the speedo,Detroit readout & GPS. No accidents.

I can't post picks of my old Pete, or any of the other truck I worked. But my name on title, insurance policy, and very important, the fuel bill helped me decide that in most instances best speed was set cruise at 62.
Nobody but a idiot would advocate anybody driving faster than conditions allow. But conditions can and do change in a heartbeat. Faster you are going when that change happens, the more distance you travel before you adapt.
And another major problem; Everybody knows for a fact they are a better than average driver. This leads to the "my tires good at 75, so I'm good" and "if your as good as me you would go fast, go slow, you are putting me at risk"
Fact is a slow, or faster vehicle is a change in road conditions. If you can't adjust safely, it is you that is not driving to conditions. You think we should change.
BTW, I have seen a lot of cars tore up when hit a deer on 2 lane road. But a deer jumping into a 4 lane is the only time I have seen 3-4 cars banged up by the same deer. Then the rubber necks bang together on the other side.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is hard to imagine that this thread would go on this long with such strong wording from various posters.

My rig is equipped well enough to run 75 to 85 easily if I chose to do so. However I am not in a hurry and have been driving for quite a few decades with no violations. I don't drive 65 to 67 for economy only, I drive that speed due to the sudden changes in front of me. My wife, dogs and others are my responsibility and I intend to honor that.

If you want to drive 75 to 85 pulling that is your choice. I will continue driving my way and not once worry about it.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone that says they get their best mileage at 72 MPH is not in touch with reality. Since aerodynamic drag increases dramatically as speed increases, it is impossible to reverse basic laws of physics. Slow down AND grow up.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Anyone that says they get their best mileage at 72 MPH is not in touch with reality. Since aerodynamic drag increases dramatically as speed increases, it is impossible to reverse basic laws of physics. Slow down AND grow up.

75 with a fifth wheel is definitely not in touch with reality , it’s been proven speed kills , that’s reality .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

75 with a fifth wheel is definitely not in touch with reality , it’s been proven speed kills , that’s reality .
Uh no, speed doesn't kill, otherwise airplanes would be permanently grounded, and trains wouldn't go over 35 mph. It's the sudden deceleration that kills. Run your head into a wall at 35 mph and you'll likely be just as dead as at 105 mph.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.