Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: About to buy Rebuilt TT (previous salvage) Please help!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> About to buy Rebuilt TT (previous salvage) Please help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
gorvinkc

KC

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all have got me thinking don't do it. I scoured the internet and did finally manage to find another one of the same model 5 hours away. Its a year older and they have it listed for $14,900. I'm going to see if I can get them to com down a few grand and go that route. I really don't want to be posting a disaster story on here. Thanks for all the comments.

gorvinkc

KC

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well dang, that one for $14900 has a deposit on it already. They only had it 6 days. Its making the salvage dog look appealing again! I feel a bad decision coming on.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good decision. This isn't a good deal at all. If its been on its side, you will likely have structural issues. These things are likely 2x2 pieces of pine held together with staples and glue. They are okay if treated gently to normal, they aren't designed to be on their sides.

I might take a risk for $1000, but $8500 is going to leave you with very little room for error to start fixing things. This isn't likely to be "a little work". A BRAND NEW CAMPER requires "a little work". A used camper that was wrecked will require SUBSTANTIAL work.

Its a tough time to try to buy a camper right now. Everyone is getting into it because they don't want to fly or rent hotels due to Covid concerns. If you wait until winter you might find better deals, but who knows in this current climate...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is so special about the layout that you want to risk buying a rig that is likely a total cluster?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

gorvinkc

KC

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically it's a toy hauler travel trailer. Its the only model that can fit all my stuff but still small enough to pull with my SUV safely with some margin. Its 3600lbs dry with 2500lb cargo capacity. This is achieved by not having a dedicated bed space. The only bed is above the cargo area and drops down. it has 8 ft ceilings to accommodate the bed above. It comfortably sleeps 4(kids on fold down couches) and can fit my quad, my dirt bike, kids quad and kids dirt bike. Basically it has a nice kitchen and bathroom in front and the cargo area converts to large dinette and also converts to bunks with queen bed on top and two full beds underneath.

I cannot find any other model with this configuration. The manufacturer stopped making in 2019. I'll keep looking for one that's not been tipped. Its just hard to pass up this one thats only an hour from home and priced right.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run, don't walk away. If you don't, later you will wish you did.

bjkb1f

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are enough issues with the general lack of quality control with new TTs, let alone piling on the rebuild/repair issues that will likely crop up with one that's been in a wreck. Sounds like something that could end up being much more expensive in the long run.

It would be one thing to have to take it in for repairs when you'd like to use it, but even worse to get stranded somewhere as a result of shoddy work.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RUN away.................

gorvinkc

KC

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I should be listening to you all and running but I'm really having a hard time letting this one go since there are no others for sale in all of the US.

After I have it inspected and all systems are working properly, what would be the potential issues that might pop up as a result of the wreck. Water leaks? bad appliances? I would be saving at least $4000. Wouldn't that $4000 go pretty far towards repairing anything that might com up?

ranholago

MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion is MOVE ON to some thing else, you got the money, there are lots of trailer for sale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> About to buy Rebuilt TT (previous salvage) Please help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.