cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turning A Toad

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Next week I'm going to tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my motorhome for the first time. In addition to reading all the guidelines for hooking up correctly (and making a checklist) I'm trying to find advice on turning corners with the Jeep behind me. My biggest concern is probably how to avoid binding the tow bars and doing worse damage to them, the Jeep, or the motorhome.

What guidance can you give me on how to turn corners while towing a car behind me?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
5 REPLIES 5

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The advice of not turning the steering wheel prior to moving is good advice, especially if you have a long overhang on your motorhome. This is a good practice in a motorhome anyway to help avoid tailswing accidents. Depending on your motorhome and toad, the toad may or may not track outside the motorhome's rear wheels. When I had a 30'C towing a little Saturn, the car always tracked inside so I never had to worry about dragging the toad over a curb on a turn. If your toad tracks outside then you have to watch it, especially on right turns on city streets.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you're rolling when you initiate the turn; never turn the steering wheel a lot while sitting still and then move because that immediately puts lots of side stress on the tow setup.

Never back up.
-jbh-

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Ava wrote:
There is advise from manufacturers to try to limit turning the rig at a maximum angle when towing as this puts strain on the tow equipment. Sometimes unavoidable but try to make turns less sharp. As said above, you cannot back up without binding something so always plan ahead to avoid tight roads and use fuel stops that are easy to drive in and out.

Thanks for the advice.

I read that I'm not supposed to back up with the car attached, but that's the kind of thing I might forget. So I told my wife to help me remember. And it's on my checklist.

DO NOT BACK UP WITH TOAD ATTACHED!
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
There is advise from manufacturers to try to limit turning the rig at a maximum angle when towing as this puts strain on the tow equipment. Sometimes unavoidable but try to make turns less sharp. As said above, you cannot back up without binding something so always plan ahead to avoid tight roads and use fuel stops that are easy to drive in and out.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
The only way you would really be able to bind the tow bars is to try backing up with them attached, especially if you tried to back up while you were turning. Also making a tight U turn. Other wise just tow it the same as towing a trailer.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH