cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed supersteer springs but...

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I installed supersteer front coil springs to replace my leaky saggy spring/airbags. The coach rides much much better and sits higher. However over big dips when the front suspension is fully extended, it sounds like the spring is popping out of its “basket” for a moment. Its pretty gnarly. I only noticed it on my drive home from the mechanic who did it but now its 7:30pm on a friday so i cant just go back.

The rig is a 1993 chevy p30 with rear disc brakes. What prevents the spring from falling out of the control arm? I dont see a clamp anywhere. the shop who did the work has always been very good. I just wanted to be educated when i go back with this issue.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
13 REPLIES 13

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Octaneforce wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Im going to vent a little more;

Every time this rig sees a shop (and its seen alot of shops) i ask them to grease all the grease fittings and charge me for whatever labor it is (its alot of zerks). I crawled under and every single grease fitting was dry as a bone, even the new components! Unreal. Everybody is incompetent.

I digress, since i greased everything ive heard almost zero noises. Once in a blue moon it will make a feint clunk, but who knows. Im going to another shop tomorrow to get another opinion. It still drives like a forklift

Like most everything that you don't do yourself. It's either watch every move or pray.
I did have camping world put these coils in our old coach and it did well afterwards. Never did have a problem with the front end, other than the bags going flat. Mine also had a factory Helwig buggy spring installed, which was removed after installing the new coils.

The DP we have now, is a horse of a different color and even though we liked the old coach, I'm never going back.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Im going to vent a little more;

Every time this rig sees a shop (and its seen alot of shops) i ask them to grease all the grease fittings and charge me for whatever labor it is (its alot of zerks). I crawled under and every single grease fitting was dry as a bone, even the new components! Unreal. Everybody is incompetent.

I digress, since i greased everything ive heard almost zero noises. Once in a blue moon it will make a feint clunk, but who knows. Im going to another shop tomorrow to get another opinion. It still drives like a forklift

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same issue several years ago took it to a front end shop when out west they told me that the noise I was hearing was from the spring not being seated properly, the reseated the spring charged me $330. About 100 miles later in Wyoming I started hearing that noise again thinking it was the spring until my LH ball joint failed and the whole front end collapsed. I was making a left turn to get on the hiway when it happened. The second time it happened was in Mt. the following year going 60 mph around a curve and the rh ball joint failed with out any noise or warning. The shop back home installed the wrong ball joints twice. What were the ball joint part numbers you installed? I would hate to see this happen to anyone else especially coming down mountainous roads out west it would be fatal.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could tie a string around the spring basket and see if it is broken after hearing the noise.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I put the super steer springs in my 2001 Winnebago Brave myself. It was very difficult to get the springs "indexed" properly. I don't know how many times I took them down and readjusted them. I finally got them pretty close and put them in. The first time I backed it out of the shop I heard one of them make a noise but since then no problem. I am very happy with them, the rig sits higher in the front, it rides and drives much better, and no dxmn air bags!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
My P30 was all over the road I did supersteer bell cranks,ipd poly bushings front and rear with larger front sway bar,supersteer rear trac bar,koni shocks,all tie rods,idler arm,steering dampner,ball joints,supersteer coil springs,steer safe.
after all that I finally fixed it by selling it and getting a old DP

Im about to do the same. Im so sick of this piece of ****

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My P30 was all over the road I did supersteer bell cranks,ipd poly bushings front and rear with larger front sway bar,supersteer rear trac bar,koni shocks,all tie rods,idler arm,steering dampner,ball joints,supersteer coil springs,steer safe.
after all that I finally fixed it by selling it and getting a old DP
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Hi sorry for the delay. The front end on this rig is tight. I have spent most of my ownership of it fighting with the front end and replacing parts. The springs were the last thing on the list. It never made noise before the spring install. Im aware of the balljoint differences, i actually replaced them twice already while learning the hard way.

I think rls is right about the springs not being “indexed” properly. I dont know how to confirm that thru a visual inspection.

In the instructions included with the springs from supersteer, it says the springs must be “twisted” into some sort of slot in the control arm. Im going to assume the mechanic never did this. I feel like kind of a jerk bringing it back but i spent a good amount of money having these installed and its not right. I even gave the instructions directly to the tech (i probably insulted him), but here we are.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1:
Waiting for the answer to that question. Gjac had same problem with his rig. Had wrong ones put in on my rig, but was caught after just a few miles.
They should have caught it during alignment after new springs.
The control arms should have had the bushings replaced as well.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did they change the front ball joints at the same time? The reason I ask is that there are two different ball joints available and if they used the smaller ones instead of the larger ones for the P30 with rear disc brakes, they will make noise.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Noise could be from other components!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Those front coil springs are held in place by many pounds of compression force. They're not going to fall out.
If the installing mechanic didn't index the springs in their seats correctly, they may make some noise under the conditions you indicated.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would insure that the A-frame bushings and the ball joints are good. 1993 P-30 uses a different ball joint taper.
The springs if bushings and ball joints are tight are held in place by tension.
Call Henderson line-up for help if they are truly SuperSteer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow