Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Installed supersteer springs but...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Installed supersteer springs but...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed supersteer front coil springs to replace my leaky saggy spring/airbags. The coach rides much much better and sits higher. However over big dips when the front suspension is fully extended, it sounds like the spring is popping out of its “basket” for a moment. Its pretty gnarly. I only noticed it on my drive home from the mechanic who did it but now its 7:30pm on a friday so i cant just go back.

The rig is a 1993 chevy p30 with rear disc brakes. What prevents the spring from falling out of the control arm? I dont see a clamp anywhere. the shop who did the work has always been very good. I just wanted to be educated when i go back with this issue.

1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would insure that the A-frame bushings and the ball joints are good. 1993 P-30 uses a different ball joint taper.
The springs if bushings and ball joints are tight are held in place by tension.
Call Henderson line-up for help if they are truly SuperSteer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those front coil springs are held in place by many pounds of compression force. They're not going to fall out.
If the installing mechanic didn't index the springs in their seats correctly, they may make some noise under the conditions you indicated.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise could be from other components!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did they change the front ball joints at the same time? The reason I ask is that there are two different ball joints available and if they used the smaller ones instead of the larger ones for the P30 with rear disc brakes, they will make noise.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1:
Waiting for the answer to that question. Gjac had same problem with his rig. Had wrong ones put in on my rig, but was caught after just a few miles.
They should have caught it during alignment after new springs.
The control arms should have had the bushings replaced as well.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi sorry for the delay. The front end on this rig is tight. I have spent most of my ownership of it fighting with the front end and replacing parts. The springs were the last thing on the list. It never made noise before the spring install. Im aware of the balljoint differences, i actually replaced them twice already while learning the hard way.

I think rls is right about the springs not being “indexed” properly. I dont know how to confirm that thru a visual inspection.

In the instructions included with the springs from supersteer, it says the springs must be “twisted” into some sort of slot in the control arm. Im going to assume the mechanic never did this. I feel like kind of a jerk bringing it back but i spent a good amount of money having these installed and its not right. I even gave the instructions directly to the tech (i probably insulted him), but here we are.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My P30 was all over the road I did supersteer bell cranks,ipd poly bushings front and rear with larger front sway bar,supersteer rear trac bar,koni shocks,all tie rods,idler arm,steering dampner,ball joints,supersteer coil springs,steer safe.
after all that I finally fixed it by selling it and getting a old DP

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

My P30 was all over the road I did supersteer bell cranks,ipd poly bushings front and rear with larger front sway bar,supersteer rear trac bar,koni shocks,all tie rods,idler arm,steering dampner,ball joints,supersteer coil springs,steer safe.
after all that I finally fixed it by selling it and getting a old DP

Im about to do the same. Im so sick of this piece of ****

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the super steer springs in my 2001 Winnebago Brave myself. It was very difficult to get the springs "indexed" properly. I don't know how many times I took them down and readjusted them. I finally got them pretty close and put them in. The first time I backed it out of the shop I heard one of them make a noise but since then no problem. I am very happy with them, the rig sits higher in the front, it rides and drives much better, and no dxmn air bags!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Installed supersteer springs but...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.