cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks.. asking for some advice and direction. We bought a Heartland Sundance 24bh brand new in March 2019. We have had a number of issues with it since we bought. All of which we have taken care of on our own. Mainly because we were travelling at the time and it would take to long to involve warranty.

The most recent issue is fairly major and Heartland is choosing not to help.

In July we drove on a 4000km, 2400mi road trip around northern Ontario. I am fairly attentive to wheels bearing and suspension issues checking things over on most stops and breaks. On our second last day I noticed some sever wear on the inner edge of the rear drivers side tire. I looked it over and my initial thought was bearing despite having been professionally repacked earlier in the summer.

When we got home I figured out what the real issue was. The frame is cracked above the rear spring shackle. I assume this is causing a change in alignment and causing the tire to wear.

I brought it the 40km up the road nice and slow and dropped it off at our trailer dealer. Initially I was told it's out of warranty but I pointed out the 3 year structural warranty. The service manager came out and looked at it and agreed it should be under warranty. He agreed to contact Heartland and get things started despite the fact they don't do welding at the shop. During further inspection he also notice the frame on the opposite side is also cracked!

Awhile later I got a call from Heartland asking if I could bring the trailer to the USA for repair. I kinda laughed and explained how this was not an option for a few major reasons. First Covid means I am not allowed to cross the border and second the trailer is in no condition to be towed. I tried asking questions about what would happen, concerns about how major this is and the fact it was wrecking our family holidays. They had no info but agreed to dig into it and call me back.

I informed our dealer about the call and he informed me that the repair is outside of the scope of what they are able to repair even bringing in a welder and that he has pushed back on Heartland saying he refuses to accept any liability from the repair. He has not said it but seems to be inferring this is beyond welding on a patch.

So another call from Heartland yesterday and they advise me I need to find my own company to repair it and have them contact Lippert for instructions on how to. I pushed back on them telling him that I should not be responsible to find ways to farm out there repairs for them. Heartlands solution? He sent me an email with 3 other trailer dealers in the area and lipperts phone number. I suggested that if they really want to see the trailer it would not be overly expensive to have it flatbedded down to Indiana. Based on the number of trucks I see coming up here with new trailers I would assume they are running back empty. No dice. Charlie says talk to Lippert. So Heartland is refusing to help at this point and when I tell Heartland this I get "Well I sent you an email..."

So we are camping this week. Sleeping in a tent instead of our brand new trailer. So calling anyone is tough with very limited signal on the park. Tomorrow we are heading home and I need to call everyone involved to try and find an action plan....

Lippert is aware of the issue. In fact they have a white paper on how to repair it. My dealer is of the mind that the shackles used were to small and putting to much stress on the frame. I understand the position he is in but as the end customer I feel very stuck right now.

In reading around it seems Lippert usually sends out there own welders flying them to sites to make the repairs when this comes up.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how and who to push to fix this.... For info sake we are in Canada on the east side of the GTA and the dealer is in Peterborough.

Your thoughts as appreciated!

Crack I noticed -
Note the rust on the 18 month old frame. I am told its normal..

Crack the dealer noticed -
I wire brushed and painted this side of the frame earlier in on the trip...
57 REPLIES 57

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks,

I thought I owed an update... It seemed like things were moving along towards having things fixed. The dealer had a welder in who feels comfortable with the repair and parts were finally on the way from LCI. LCI provided shipping details with an ETA of Sept 27th.

I stopped by the dealer last week to check the status (Its about an hour drive but I happened to be up that way). The dealer never received the parts. Well as it turns out those parts never shipped. The dealer did show me a few emails back and forth, the latest indicating that LCI just received parts and now needs to manufacture parts to ship to me? I was a little frustrated with the dealer for not providing me updates but at least he appears to be on the ball and was following up on his end.

So Friday I tried to contact heartland. There phone system sucks. After waiting on hold for about 30 minutes to speak to someone it bounces you through to a voicemail. Well three Voicemail later (yes 1.5 hours on hold) heard nothing back from Heartland. So friday night a send them an email... I was a little harsh in my wording but polite throughout.

I did get an email back from them Monday Morning (today). I followed that up with a phone call. Super nice Lady who seems to have genuine interest in helping bring this issue to resolution. She has promised to follow up by today with an update from LCI on the status of the parts.

I vented a little with her and brought up my concern about the safety of the trailer moving forward. She has suggested a Structural inspection that she believes Heartland will pay for once the repairs are complete. She is going to confirm that she can authorize the inspection and going to advise.

All said I think I will let the welder complete the repair and try and get this inspection done. I am not to sure where in Canada (Toronto West to Belleville) I should bring it but I should have some time to source someone for this. I think at the same time I will talk with them about a full suspension upgrade while its in there. This may negate the warranty from LCI/Heartland but we can cross that bridge a little later.

Thanks again to all the folks who took time to suggest idea's. I do appreciate everyone's insights!

Mike

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a PROWLER 2 axle trailer I FISH PLATED all 8 spring hangers with 3/16" plate and then hot riveted (three people needed) the six-inch-long plates to the Prowler frame. I was a waste of time as welding would have done the same thing. My 100-gallon fuel tank brackets were welded to my Crown's frame as well as the 83 gallon Manchester motor fuel LPG tank. Then driven across 60,000 miles of Mexico's worst. Same for the four L-16 batteries. Only the Ride Rite air bag hangers were riveted. Flat towing the 1-ton stake bed truck GVW total was near 15-tons.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
What about the other 2 hangers that are going to do the same thing. It was never designed correcrly. All 4 hangers must be done or you are prolonging your agony. And I would estimate more like 12 hours to do all 4 hangers correctly
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure 5 hours is enough for replacing the 2 hangers and welding patches on the I beam as well as repairing the lower flange of the I beam. As well I want the axles aligned and I will be asking for 2 replacement tires.

Its a start ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lynnmor wrote:
bedpan wrote:
Just got word that Lippert has approved 5 hours of work plus parts for the two hangers. Now to see what that translates to the Dealer and if the dealers welder is competent..

While the 5 hours is generous for the repair of two hangers and it may be good as new when done. The problem is that it was less than acceptable when new. You need to know exactly what will be done to YOUR trailer.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Short cut and just find a good welder and have him start welding all the cracks then start laying in reinforcement.

Right on, and that renforcement should cover at least 18 inches of the frame, in other words the frame should be boxed in outside and inside for 18 inches minimum. And that should be done after all the cracks are welded it.
You are much better off having a good weld shop do the job correctly and then try to collect the money, than ever trying to get the trailer MFG to do the job right.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bedpan wrote:
Just got word that Lippert has approved 5 hours of work plus parts for the two hangers. Now to see what that translates to the Dealer and if the dealers welder is competent..

While the 5 hours is generous for the repair of two hangers and it may be good as new when done. The problem is that it was less than acceptable when new. You need to know exactly what will be done to YOUR trailer.

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
bedpan wrote:
How was your cracks compared to mine? How are things holding up? You happy with it over all?
I broke lots of things but not exactly what you had. I broke several spring hangers, one spring and cross-members between the two main frame rails. Broke a wet bolt too but that was a Dexter part.

I came across the procedure I linked while dealing with my problems.

The hangers and springs were on my previous TH (Victory lane with Lippert frame) and the cross-members on my current Voltage 3950.

I know there is one strap on the black tank that is coming apart on the Voltage.

We have rust at least as bad as yours. I think the secret is not to buy a rig that was manufactured in the winter. The dealer in Florida spray painted over the frame and a bunch of other stuff and it looked good when we bought it.

We love our rig but the Lippert frame is not the best part.

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
For sure.. I see a fair number of people looking for help on similiar issues. I will do my best to share the whole story including the repair.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Please show images of the fix ๐Ÿ™‚

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bedpan wrote:
Further update for those interested..

I am told 24 hours and they should be back to me...

Time will tell!

Cheers,

Mike

Iโ€™m likely only an hour or so west of you (near Lake Simcoe) feel free to reach out if you need a second opinion..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Please show images of the fix ๐Ÿ™‚

dedmiston
That sounds like good progress. Well done.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Further update for those interested..
I spoke with the dealer today. They seem to acknowledge that this is taking to long and that Heartland is not providing any help. They are scheduling a Welder they use to come have a look and provide some insight. They are planning on contacting Lippert once they have some direction from the welder.

I contact Lippert anyways.. Just the front line support. Turns out Heartland had not created a ticket with Lippert as I was told. Oh well. I provided all the details they needed and photos. The dealer needs to forward on a few more photos as they want photos of the VIN and photos of the 4 sides of the trailer. I am told 24 hours and they should be back to me...

Time will tell!

Cheers,

Mike

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks there Dedmiston. Legal advise was certainly not why I started the thread. It has been suggested but I have been pretty clear it was not my goal. I do appreciate everyone's advise though.

dedmiston wrote:
Hey everyone. This is an interesting discussion and I appreciate how constructive the feedback has been so far.

Unfortunately there's one taboo angle to this topic and it's non-negotiable: Legal

Please refrain from any discussion of lawyers, lawsuits, or consumer agencies. Any further Legal discussion will result in the thread being deleted for good and without further warnings.

Forum Rules wrote:
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.