Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bedpan wrote:

How was your cracks compared to mine? How are things holding up? You happy with it over all?
I broke lots of things but not exactly what you had. I broke several spring hangers, one spring and cross-members between the two main frame rails. Broke a wet bolt too but that was a Dexter part.

I came across the procedure I linked while dealing with my problems.

The hangers and springs were on my previous TH (Victory lane with Lippert frame) and the cross-members on my current Voltage 3950.

I know there is one strap on the black tank that is coming apart on the Voltage.

We have rust at least as bad as yours. I think the secret is not to buy a rig that was manufactured in the winter. The dealer in Florida spray painted over the frame and a bunch of other stuff and it looked good when we bought it.

We love our rig but the Lippert frame is not the best part.

* This post was edited 09/01/20 04:14pm by joebedford *

bedpan

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got word that Lippert has approved 5 hours of work plus parts for the two hangers. Now to see what that translates to the Dealer and if the dealers welder is competent..

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bedpan wrote:

Just got word that Lippert has approved 5 hours of work plus parts for the two hangers. Now to see what that translates to the Dealer and if the dealers welder is competent..

While the 5 hours is generous for the repair of two hangers and it may be good as new when done. The problem is that it was less than acceptable when new. You need to know exactly what will be done to YOUR trailer.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

Short cut and just find a good welder and have him start welding all the cracks then start laying in reinforcement.

Right on, and that renforcement should cover at least 18 inches of the frame, in other words the frame should be boxed in outside and inside for 18 inches minimum. And that should be done after all the cracks are welded it.
You are much better off having a good weld shop do the job correctly and then try to collect the money, than ever trying to get the trailer MFG to do the job right.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

bedpan

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure 5 hours is enough for replacing the 2 hangers and welding patches on the I beam as well as repairing the lower flange of the I beam. As well I want the axles aligned and I will be asking for 2 replacement tires.

Its a start ;-)

Lynnmor wrote:

bedpan wrote:

While the 5 hours is generous for the repair of two hangers and it may be good as new when done. The problem is that it was less than acceptable when new. You need to know exactly what will be done to YOUR trailer.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about the other 2 hangers that are going to do the same thing. It was never designed correcrly. All 4 hangers must be done or you are prolonging your agony. And I would estimate more like 12 hours to do all 4 hangers correctly

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a PROWLER 2 axle trailer I FISH PLATED all 8 spring hangers with 3/16" plate and then hot riveted (three people needed) the six-inch-long plates to the Prowler frame. I was a waste of time as welding would have done the same thing. My 100-gallon fuel tank brackets were welded to my Crown's frame as well as the 83 gallon Manchester motor fuel LPG tank. Then driven across 60,000 miles of Mexico's worst. Same for the four L-16 batteries. Only the Ride Rite air bag hangers were riveted. Flat towing the 1-ton stake bed truck GVW total was near 15-tons.

bedpan

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well folks,

I thought I owed an update... It seemed like things were moving along towards having things fixed. The dealer had a welder in who feels comfortable with the repair and parts were finally on the way from LCI. LCI provided shipping details with an ETA of Sept 27th.

I stopped by the dealer last week to check the status (Its about an hour drive but I happened to be up that way). The dealer never received the parts. Well as it turns out those parts never shipped. The dealer did show me a few emails back and forth, the latest indicating that LCI just received parts and now needs to manufacture parts to ship to me? I was a little frustrated with the dealer for not providing me updates but at least he appears to be on the ball and was following up on his end.

So Friday I tried to contact heartland. There phone system sucks. After waiting on hold for about 30 minutes to speak to someone it bounces you through to a voicemail. Well three Voicemail later (yes 1.5 hours on hold) heard nothing back from Heartland. So friday night a send them an email... I was a little harsh in my wording but polite throughout.

I did get an email back from them Monday Morning (today). I followed that up with a phone call. Super nice Lady who seems to have genuine interest in helping bring this issue to resolution. She has promised to follow up by today with an update from LCI on the status of the parts.

I vented a little with her and brought up my concern about the safety of the trailer moving forward. She has suggested a Structural inspection that she believes Heartland will pay for once the repairs are complete. She is going to confirm that she can authorize the inspection and going to advise.

All said I think I will let the welder complete the repair and try and get this inspection done. I am not to sure where in Canada (Toronto West to Belleville) I should bring it but I should have some time to source someone for this. I think at the same time I will talk with them about a full suspension upgrade while its in there. This may negate the warranty from LCI/Heartland but we can cross that bridge a little later.

Thanks again to all the folks who took time to suggest idea's. I do appreciate everyone's insights!

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.