Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Moles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a problem with moles at our old home. I tried several methods to get rid of them.
it was humid and warm one summer and we had the blsck mold on the fescue and slime molds on a few boulders.
i put out granular, I think, fungacide. A day or so later, after some rain, we heard squeaking in the yard. Moles were running here and there. The rain dissolved the fungacide into the ground. Moles feed on worms and grubs and bugs, and even little snakes.
They didn't like the fungacide.It irritated them or something.
I caught one off them and daughter took it to school for show and tell.
It ate every cricket and bug dropped into the little plastic cage. They eat continously and a lot.
The moles are after the worms and grubs. We have a lot of grubs that eat grass and other roots in one section now. If I spot a mole I will try to catch and release it there. The falcon, and others, that we had around from high up in the oaks caught some moles in the other part of the field yard. They see the ground move and know it is a rodent or mole. They are never very deep being right up near the roots, or so it seems. The only thing with the fungacide is it kills the worms, European Earth Worms that are everywhere now. I don't know if we have native earthworm, other than the huge some as big as small snakes found sporatically.
oh the moles left or died.
On edit: I have heard that chickens will kill them as they do small mice and snakes, but I don't know.They dig them out when they see the earth move.
Kids have some exotic chickens but I or someone would have to stand guard because of the coyotes which killed 9 in the pen...and the falcons and hawks and eagles which would set up housekeeping again when they cruise through.
It strikes me that Grubacide would kill them too...but I don't know.

* This post was last edited 08/29/20 04:12pm by down home *   View edit history

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Moles? The only way I have ever seen to get rid of them, and keep them gone involves getting rid of grubs. Nothing to eat? Gone.

X2. Treat the area with Scotts Grub-Ex.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Latner wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Moles? The only way I have ever seen to get rid of them, and keep them gone involves getting rid of grubs. Nothing to eat? Gone.

X2. Treat the area with Scotts Grub-Ex.

I didn't read his post before posting.I need to get some for my lawn too.
Amazing I never think of this stuff unless prompted by reading someone else's problems.

jeremy_kirby

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 02:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't had rodent problems in my RV, however they do visit the garage and now I'm at war with these little buggers. It seems that our cat is not a good repellant after all. She's just not interested in them.
We have been told (and here are proofs) that mice don't like the smell of Irish Soap. Any good luck with it?

We tried to stay humane, but as peppermint oil is certainly not going to work, I'm afraid we should prepare for the worst. I have already found that ultrasound repellers are not helpful.

* This post was edited 02/04/21 11:15pm by jeremy_kirby *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are the moles getting into the RV, or just a general home and garden question?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

At our seasonal campground, a camper a few sites down from us, put mothballs under the trailer, not inside the trailer.

That's what I do as well, to keep the mice away.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 03:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best mole trap I ever used. Killing grubs may help a little but Moles will eat worms too. https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/23118

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go to amazon and search for "mole eliminator".

I have one of those and they are bad news for moles.

As soon as a mole tunnels onto my property from one of the neighbors, he is mine. [emoticon]

Foggy

Kalamazoo Mi. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a classic car in winter storage in a barn.I put bars of Irish Spring on the floors and in the trunk. The mice ate 'em! In the spring there were odd shapes of soap bars left. The mouse poop didn't smell bad though.
Mice were storing dog food in Daughters basement dresser so Daughter put in moth balls to keep them away. Mice took the moth balls away and continued to haul in dog food. Mice use dryer sheets for bedding.
For the moles that build hills, I open the hill to find their hole. Then insert a funnel with a short hose attached. Then I pour in some ammonia and some bleach, about a quarter cup each. BEING CAREFUL TO KEEP THEM SEPARATE until in the hole!!!! Combined the bleach and ammonia make a poison gas.

Happy-Trails
Foggy

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foggy wrote:

The mouse poop didn't smell bad though.

Lemons -->> Lemonade [emoticon]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.