cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving on up... to the mountains!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have enjoyed living in the high Sonoran desert just north of Tucson fo the last 15 years. The camping in Arizona is nothing short of awesome and we often spend our summers in the mountains beating the heat. This year has set records almost daily for high temps and little to no rainfall {the Monsoon has been a no show... Grrr}. We live in a nice senior community but have to keep our Class C, cargo trailer and Rzr SXS at a nearby commercial storage facility.

I always longed to find some property where I could house my toys on site and enjoy a higher elevation in a smaller community. Yesterday I made that happen:

After researching at least 100 properties and finding virtually all of them already subject to pending offers {the real estate market for mountain property has gone off the chart since the Covid crisis} I found this gem and managed to out bid another offer and still get a smoking great deal and we will close escrow in 3 weeks.

Our new home is in Payson, a small town of 15,000 people located almost exactly at the geographic center of Arizona {76 miles north of Phoenix/Mesa} at 5,000'. The property is .57 of an acre and the smallish {1,407 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bath} house comes with two garages, a two car attached and a free standing 18' X 30" unit in back that is amply screams "Man Cave!"

The Coach and trailer are too tall for interior storage but with two separate driveways I have plenty of room to park them both with the Rzr, my truck and motorcycle residing in the new Man Cave and my brides car in the attached garage. Payson sits at the base of the Mogollon Rim and is about halfway between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

The property is nicely treed with huge pines some over 70' as well as, Oak, Juniper, Spruce and Manzanitas. A seasonal stream flows through the front yard and yet we are just a mile or so from what passes for "Downtown" Payson.

Here is a shot of my future Man Cave:

The back right hand corner of the Gazebo will be the new site of our Jacuzzi with the BBQ and bar to follow:

We are both so excited and can't believe our good fortune in being able to make this happen. Lots of work to be done to complete our relocation but looking forward to the challenges given the rewards that are sure to follow. Woo Hoo!

:B
65 REPLIES 65

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
No snow machine for here as the heavy snow only comes every few years but... My Rzr SXS was amazing in the snow. When I had 2' covering my 80 yards of driveways {2} it rolled over and through like a champ. Repeated overlapping two tracks allowed me to pack it all down enough that my AWD Honda Ridgeline in snow mode could get in and out without any issues.

Then I took the Rzr out on the local {dirt} back roads and trails and had a blast, never knew how much fun donuts could be.

Some guys never grow up!! That is a good thing, works for me!!

Jerry

We seriously need a like button!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Desert Captain wrote:
No snow machine for here as the heavy snow only comes every few years but... My Rzr SXS was amazing in the snow. When I had 2' covering my 80 yards of driveways {2} it rolled over and through like a champ. Repeated overlapping two tracks allowed me to pack it all down enough that my AWD Honda Ridgeline in snow mode could get in and out without any issues.

Then I took the Rzr out on the local {dirt} back roads and trails and had a blast, never knew how much fun donuts could be.

Some guys never grow up!! That is a good thing, works for me!!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OMG, yeah rippin around in the snow is awesome!
I look forward to your posts. Great place you have there
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My kind of weather. I hope you got a snowmobile to at least enjoy the snow!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op here again with another Payson update... Under the heading of careful what you wish for we got snow. The 3" shown in the pic in my previous post became 6" by morning, a foot by Monday and 2'+ on Tuesday morning with the temperature 18 degrees. The heavy wet snow wreaked havoc on the entire area with Oak and juniper trees being the primary victims.

8 to 10" limbs snapped like twigs under the weight and I lost 2 Oaks and a Juniper with half a dozen others severely damaged. This pic was taken Tuesday morning and you can see some of the damaged/down trees over my right shoulder:

This is a shot of the front yard with the two Oak stumps and piles of trimmings:

Once the snow began to clear, which took about ten days we went to work with chain and pole saws to clear the damage. I was able to salvage a full cord of nice hardwood from the Oaks and Junipers and we ended up with half a dozen very large piles of trimmings. Fortunately we have a 6 X 10 {7' tall} cargo trailer and my trusty dusty Honda Ridgeline. I was having coffee one morning when I saw a neighbor out in our front yard going to town with his chainsaw. I went out and he said it looked like you could use some help then told me where I could dump it all for free just 2 miles down the road, ya gotta love this community.

The city of Payson opened up the dirt parking lot at the Rodeo Grounds right in town as a free brush pile drop off saving everyone the 12 mile drive out to the land fill and they were doing land office business all weekend. We completely filled the back of the truck and the trailer
and that was just the first trip as several piles remained. We managed to nearly fill the trailer on the second load but that finished off the last of the trimmings. Here is a shot of the first load:

The landscapers/tree trimmers here in town are backed up 6weeks or more and there are damaged trees everywhere you look. Paying it forward I cleaned up a couple of downed trees for my elderly neighbors property pending the arrival of his tree guy. My bride and I, ages 70 and 69 are moving a little slowly this morning, the Jacuzzi and Ibuprofen are our friends but it felt good to get it all done and we are looking forward to our next Payson adventure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:

How about a SxS for the desert? We just spent a week riding and it was a blast.

Yeah man! They're a blast too...
Got to catch up with a friend when we were down near Vegas for Xmas and he took us out on a ride. I've been in SxS before, but they keep getting better. And 200+hp and 2' of suspension travel is FUN.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here, we finally got the snow we had been hoping for, 3+" of the heavy wet stuff last night. the forecast is calling for another 15 -" over the next 24 hours. Here are a couple of shots, back yard and front:

We hit the jacuzzi lastnight as the snow was falling with the temp right at 32, will be doing that again soon. Looking forward to a nice ride in the snow in our Rzr before it gets too much deeper.

๐Ÿ™‚

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
Thumbs up man!
Whenโ€™s the house warming party?? Weather is beginning to s uck up here!

The more I read about your new place, the more I like it!

I basically swore off of ever living in AZ again after 2 years in Gilbert a while back, but could totally see a winter place down there, up in your neck of the woods. Maybe year round once I kick the snowmobile/ Snowbike addiction!

Right now our goal is to move to where Edd505 posted pics of above!

How about a SxS for the desert? We just spent a week riding and it was a blast.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain

Late to thread, congrats to your new home and closing out on your old one. Sweet looking piece of property you have there, love the looks of that Gazebo and the future plans you have for it! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thumbs up man!
Whenโ€™s the house warming party?? Weather is beginning to s uck up here!

The more I read about your new place, the more I like it!

I basically swore off of ever living in AZ again after 2 years in Gilbert a while back, but could totally see a winter place down there, up in your neck of the woods. Maybe year round once I kick the snowmobile/ Snowbike addiction!

Right now our goal is to move to where Edd505 posted pics of above!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here with a final update... We have been in our new home for 3 months and are loving it more everyday. Most of our upgrades and improvements {remodeled kitchen - new cabinets and granite countertops, some serious landscaping along with a few electrical upgrades - dedicated 30 amp hook up for the coach, expanded parking for the rig, paving both driveways etc.} have been completed.

Yesterday afternoon we closed escrow on the sale of our former home in Tucson. The proceeds of the sale were $245 shy of what I paid for the new place so it is all good. It took a couple of months to get a solid offer but with Covid-19 raging and the election in full swing I really did not expect much activity until mid November. While I was sure it would sell without any major issues it sure is nice to have that event in the rear view mirror and we can now focus 100 percent of our energy on our new place.

:C

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful home, Desert Captain. Enjoy!
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice looking property, enjoy! Live out like that is a new world. I made the move up into the mountains in ID when I retired. 8 miles to the county road and got a bit tired of dealing with this stuff but did like the neighbors stopping by. I'm sure you find great neighbors in your area too. This was an annual event.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold