Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Moving on up... to the mountains!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moving on up... to the mountains!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC,

What an "adventure" you have been through ... quite the life-change for both of you!

I can identify with some of what you're doing. We live on 3+ acres in a forested area ~1840 feet up in the North-Central CA coastal mountains and have had a huge coastal range fire come close this fall.

We had several large trees that were too close to the house removed in early summer and I have been removing, by hand, a shovelful at a time, a thigh-high layer of leaves around our trees decades in the making. This week I'm continuing with trimming of low hanging tree limbs using an extension pole chainsaw.

You're new driveway is awesome. My 600 feet of driveway really needs a new coat, too.

Sadly, since our last trip to Arizona in January, the RV is only sitting in the backyard and occasionally gettting it's generator exercised. By the way, we were near Payson several years ago in January in the rig and wound up driving a bit in some snow and sleet. It was a beautiful area.

Enjoy your new (more reasonable) air temperatures!

P.S. Are you now going to have to winterize your Class C?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Phil,

It has been a whirlwind experience but we are finally getting settled in with most of our upgrades/improvements either complete or at least under way. Our Fire danger is still rated "Extreme" but we have some serious weather coming in starting tonight. We are expecting thunderstorms/heavy rains through next Monday and probable snow as the lows will be in the upper 20's to low 30's. If we get a couple of inches the fire danger should be mitigated somewhat.

Yes I plan to winterize the coach probably this weekend even though we won't see prolonged sub freezing temps for a while. Sadly we have no immediate plans for the coach as we have already canceled what would have been our 9th consecutive Quartzsite trip... talk about a super spreader event just waiting to happen. [emoticon]

My southern Arizona method has always been to simply drain all of the fresh water from the coach and then drive around for about 5 miles which chases most of the water in the lines out the drains. Never felt the need to blow out the lines but if I choose to go that route I have my new, 135 psi compressor to get the job done.

I followup with the pink antifreeze in each of the traps {sinks and shower} and the black and gray tanks which will get drained. The Giant gas station half a mile up the road has free dump stations so dumping is easy and very convenient.

I have an electrician coming next week to put in a 30 amp outlet and will keep the coach plugged in so I can use a small electric heater as needed. I can run the tank heaters anytime it is going to get seriously cold and it does here often in winter with temps in the teens not unusual. The last step in my southern AZ winterization is to restock the bar... but I already have that covered. [emoticon]

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really nice looking property, enjoy! Live out like that is a new world. I made the move up into the mountains in ID when I retired. 8 miles to the county road and got a bit tired of dealing with this stuff but did like the neighbors stopping by. I'm sure you find great neighbors in your area too. This was an annual event.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 03:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful home, Desert Captain. Enjoy!

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here with a final update... We have been in our new home for 3 months and are loving it more everyday. Most of our upgrades and improvements {remodeled kitchen - new cabinets and granite countertops, some serious landscaping along with a few electrical upgrades - dedicated 30 amp hook up for the coach, expanded parking for the rig, paving both driveways etc.} have been completed.

Yesterday afternoon we closed escrow on the sale of our former home in Tucson. The proceeds of the sale were $245 shy of what I paid for the new place so it is all good. It took a couple of months to get a solid offer but with Covid-19 raging and the election in full swing I really did not expect much activity until mid November. While I was sure it would sell without any major issues it sure is nice to have that event in the rear view mirror and we can now focus 100 percent of our energy on our new place.

[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thumbs up man!
When’s the house warming party?? Weather is beginning to s uck up here!

The more I read about your new place, the more I like it!

I basically swore off of ever living in AZ again after 2 years in Gilbert a while back, but could totally see a winter place down there, up in your neck of the woods. Maybe year round once I kick the snowmobile/ Snowbike addiction!

Right now our goal is to move to where Edd505 posted pics of above!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain

Late to thread, congrats to your new home and closing out on your old one. Sweet looking piece of property you have there, love the looks of that Gazebo and the future plans you have for it! [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Thumbs up man!
When’s the house warming party?? Weather is beginning to s uck up here!

The more I read about your new place, the more I like it!

I basically swore off of ever living in AZ again after 2 years in Gilbert a while back, but could totally see a winter place down there, up in your neck of the woods. Maybe year round once I kick the snowmobile/ Snowbike addiction!

Right now our goal is to move to where Edd505 posted pics of above!

How about a SxS for the desert? We just spent a week riding and it was a blast.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moving on up... to the mountains!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.