Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where I live, Hanover Co., VA, Comcast is the only game in town. I can either get bundled cable, voice (wife wants this), and internet. If I dropped cable, the price quoted me didn't go down very much. By the time I added You Tube TV, or something similar, I was pretty much back at the old price I was paying.

wa8yxm wrote:

AT&T had a grand plan to control ALL communications.. Basically Rebuild the old BELL TELEPONE and then some (Been their plan all along) The problem with DirecTV (And Dish) is Roku, apple TV -etal

You get decent unlmited Internet bandwidth you don't need the sat dish and monthly sat bill.. You got it all.

Me.. Depending on where I'm parked. and it appears I'm about to settle in the land of "Fairly decent coverage" I have so much OVER THE AIR TV that my DVR's overload and I have to off load 'em to long term storage.

(I have two DVR's and a compter all networked. the computer downloads the Program guide, modifies it for upload to the DVR's. which do all the DVR things (LIke record any program with NCIS in the name) and I can download to the comptuer and transfer to any portable device if I wish. They also let me start watching in one room. Finish in the other and so on. Like I said all the fancy pause fast forward rewind stuff too. Only instead of 100/month is't 25/year for the electronin TV Guide.. that's all folks.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer a couple of Starlink questions in this thread, SpaceX is currently testing the early equipment versions for the new Starship that will be capable of launching up to 400 Starlink sats at once, as well be the basis for future moon and Mars travel. Below is a look at an initial user terminal. The dish is self aligning and about the size of a large pizza box. The installation instructions are: "Aim it at the sky. Plug it in. In either order."

[image]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/20 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The dish is self aligning and about the size of a large pizza box. The installation instructions are: "Aim it at the sky. Plug it in. In either order."

Now that's funny! So the only users are going to be mobile users? Why would any fixed location need an auto seeking antenna? Is the antenna going to have to track the satellites moving across the sky? If so, the antenna is going to be constantly moving?
This gets more interesting everyday!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ghiotom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/20 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is that the dish doesn't move, but elements inside the dish will track and hand off satellites as they move into and then out of range of the dish antenna.

2018 Sprinter/Thor Four Winds 24HL

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/20 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post, Dutch! Elon et al have a great sense of humor.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another update on Starlink early beta testing:
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starlink-beta-speed-results-vs-broadband/
Absolutely Amazing what this guy is accomplishing. I look forward to laughing at comcast and telling them what i really think about how they treat people.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The dish is self aligning and about the size of a large pizza box. The installation instructions are: "Aim it at the sky. Plug it in. In either order."

Now that's funny! So the only users are going to be mobile users? Why would any fixed location need an auto seeking antenna? Is the antenna going to have to track the satellites moving across the sky? If so, the antenna is going to be constantly moving?
This gets more interesting everyday!

The phased array dish has motor drives that self align it for the fixed installation location so no installer or user adjustments are needed. The mobile units will likely have a different mounting arrangement. Once installed and auto-aimed, the phased array does the satellite tracking with no moving parts while the programming handles the satellite to satellite hand offs, similar to cell tower switching.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do know that a phased array antenna must move to work properly, right? I'm not suggesting it won't work or it won't work despite moving on a continuous basis but it will be very interesting to see how latency at 250 miles vs. a few miles (tower to cell) will affect the overall experience. I know it's coming and I know it will work but I still have questions about costs to remain profitable and speed comparisons with satellite and 5G (which Starlink is likely not).
There continues to be a ground station issue and the number of ground stations required. If Elon can figure out the laser communication between satellites (not kidding here) the number of ground stations might be reduced but the latency will increase slightly.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hate to tell you bill, but pretty much everyone is going to believe Elon instead of agreeing with you.

Oh, and btw, Elon has already "figured out the laser communication between satellites". (( https://factschronicle.com/spacex-successfully-tests-starlink-satellite-connectivity-using-space-lasers-24439.html )). And you might want to reread that link i posted above on latency.

Again, if you are having trouble following it, i'll be glad to help you understand how good it ALREADY is. ((oh ok, here it is again if you cant be bothered to scroll: https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starlink-beta-speed-results-vs-broadband/ ))

The future is Now. Well,maybe in 2021..... [emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for keeping your post kind and civil. I know all the facts and the facts include not being able to change the speed of light. A signal to a tower a mile away and a tower 250 miles away WILL increase latency no matter what. I like how you imply I think I am smarter than Elon but belittling me offers no real benefits here.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.