cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian snowbirds: sell RV in Canada or USA?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I bought both of our toy haulers in USA and imported into Canada. Traded the first on the second. I might trade again in which case the selling question goes away. But if I do sell, would I get a better price selling in Canada or USA?

Sell truck with TH too? There may be a Class C in my future in which case won't need the truck.
17 REPLIES 17

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
The last one I had done on the truck, it was a tailpipe test. The last one on the car was an OBD II check.

Hmm, that's not necessarily good. What burns cleaner, bio-diesel, or dino-diesel, I wonder? It would be easier to get a clean OBD II test on your diesel vehicle, than a clean tailpipe, methinks?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The last one I had done on the truck, it was a tailpipe test. The last one on the car was an OBD II check.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I just looked at the rules: you need a test if the diesel is registered at over 4500kg. Mine is registered at 4500kg (I know, I know...)

Is it a tailpipe/opacity test, or do they just do the OBD II check for emissions (failure) codes?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I just looked at the rules: you need a test if the diesel is registered at over 4500kg. Mine is registered at 4500kg (I know, I know...)

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Ontario stopped doing emissions testing a year or two ago but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't pass a test.

Joe, although Ontario stopped testing, it was for cars. My duallie still requires testing every 2 years here in southern Ontario.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Put the TH on Kijiji, in Canada, and see what happens.
Price: Start high and you might get high. Start low, and....well?
Truck: Move the toy hauler first, unless someone asks about it.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Vehicles moving in either direction have to meet certain standards. In most cases a vehicle will be compliant. Certain Asian made vehicles can be a problem. Emission standards are federal. If a Canadian tegistered vehicle is already in the USA it can be complicated.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ontario stopped doing emissions testing a year or two ago but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't pass a test.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
almcc,

Saskatchewan doesn't do yearly or periodic checks on emissions. So it may be better to say "it depends on where you are".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Then a package deal is possible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
As a general comment or two, just got back from our RV dealer (RV in for repairs), he indicated that he has been extremely busy and new RV's from the factory are scarce because of demand. Also, auto dealers are scooping up used trucks and exporting them to the US because of demand (and probably a lower C$). Might be a good time to make the moves!

If your truck uses DEF I'll bet it would pass emission testing in the US, both countries have the same standards.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
The speedometer is close to the bottom of the concern list. Think truck emissions. Looking for a bigger RV?
The truck has DEF - I think that's the same as a US truck.

Yeah, BIGGER RV.

No, actually smaller RV. I had to give up my Class A driver's license so I'm not legal for this rig anymore. I hadn't intended to drive it anymore (just leave it in Florida) but we were so paranoid in March about getting home without contact that we brought it instead of staying in motels.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would try to sell it in Canada as it has been shall we say imported and clear customs. That is worth dollars!
More buyers could be north of the borders as most RVs are built south of the border.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The speedometer is close to the bottom of the concern list. Think truck emissions. Looking for a bigger RV?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad