cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The state of full time RVing in 2020 - RVs and TVs.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing since the early 90s. I've owned large 5th wheels for the past 22 years.

With COVID there has been an explosion of people going "full time". Many of which have never really been RVers before. Unfortunately there is a common theme to these stories that involves disappointment with the RV and the TV that pulls it. What is supposed to be a journey of fun and exploration turns into a trial by fire of trying to fix what breaks and keeping everything running.

People need to realize something - RVs are not built for full time living. They are built for weekend use. Most everything used in an RV is light duty - taps, sinks, fridges, water heaters, tires, wheels, springs, brakes - the list goes on and on. Would you put any of these components in your house ? Nope. They why would you expect them to last when used full timing ?

Tow vehicles have gotten much better over the years. You can now get diesel pickup trucks with 450HP and over 1000 ftlbs of torque. But as great as they are, they are very expensive, they wear out extremely fast and they cost a fortune to fix. They are also riddled with issues, even when new. Case in point, the CP4 issue on the latest RAM HD trucks.

Unfortunately, many of the gas motorhome chassis have not gotten a lot better. The engines are still gas, the track on the front axle is still too narrow, the gas tanks are too small, the transmissions are over loaded. This list goes on.

Likewise the suspension and undercarriage on most trailers is pure junk. The springs and axles are too small, the brakes are terrible, the tires are too small and blow out. These components were designed for 500 miles a year, not 10,000 miles for 5 years straight.

So what do you do ?

As far as the interior part of the RV, plan to replace every component with a residential equivalent. Chairs, couch, mattresses, taps, shower head, water heater, fridge, cook top, etc. Isn't that like rebuilding the RV ? Why yes it is. In fact, you might want to consider buying a used RV and doing a reno on it.

Another issue with common RVs is the exterior fading. The decals put on RVs stay nice for a maximum of 5 years in the sun. And the fiberglass exterior fades quickly too. The solution to this is to paint the exterior of the RV.

As far as the trailer suspension goes, go look at the brakes and suspension that are under a high end horse or cattle trailer. It will probably be a heavy duty torsion axle with disk brakes. With heavy duty hubs. Made to be pulled across the country and back while hauling heavy loads. If you want piece of mind, replace your trailer suspension with similar equipment.

Tow vehicles are another conundrum. If you are pulling a smaller trailer, like 10K or less, a diesel truck still works. Just be prepared that nobody wants to buy it once it is out of warranty. And they depreciate very quickly.

Once you get above 15K you really need to consider using an HDT. A good used HDT will set you back $40K, which is half of the price of a new pickup. You'll probably need to do some work on it and it won't be trouble free going forward. But the issues will be small and affordable and you won't be looking to trade it off in 5 years. Or 10. In fact, it is highly unlikely you'll ever wear it out.

As far as motorhomes go, Sprinters are terrible for rust and engine issues. Most Class C chassis will be wore out at 100K miles and the resale value will reflect that. You'll also have engine and transmission problems and maybe brake problems.

The small Class A diesel pushers (Cummins 5.9/6/7, Cat 3126) are OK. They'll give decent service but they are under powered.

The larger diesel pushers with the Spartan chassis will stand up. There is almost a heavy duty truck built into them. They are engineered with the right suspension, brakes, engine and transmission for the job. They will give great service and last.

The other solution is a Super C based on a HD truck chassis. That too is the right combination, although rigs with the Cummins 6.7 are still under powered and there have been some Super Cs with soft rear suspension. But the beauty of a Super Class C is that you can take it to the nearest HD truck shop and they are comfortable working on it. Can't say that for a regular Class C, which it seems nobody wants to work on.

The other issue is that some people have never had to work on vehicles or residential stuff and hope to rely on dealers and repair shops while they are on the road. That almost never turns out well, for a variety of reasons. The solution here is to tackle jobs yourself and become self reliant.

I hope this helps people.
28 REPLIES 28

me2
Explorer
Explorer
And then there is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSUcdmA05k

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone doubting that Ford 6.7s are nothing but trouble should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlCDg0-G8wa

The owner was darn lucky not to destroy the engine.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been very pleased with our 2000 gas coach. No we haven't had to replace anything with residential and have had very little go wrong except for regular maintenance items done, a couple of circuit boards, vent covers, that type of thing. It does depend on the quality of the item you start with. Yes, full-time for 10 years.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
2019 F350. 25,000 miles. Plastic is terrible. Needed a new transmission seal. Runs really hot when towing. Doesn't know if he'll keep it past 36,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIDkZ3OenI

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
to Techwriter. Why did you post a youtube link that begins with a 15 second ad (wonder who gets paid for the click) and i cant seem to find anything about rv issues at all.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
And another YouTube
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

me2
Explorer
Explorer
6th or 7th time to the service facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MYlom10Go

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Another breakdown. This time it's the slideout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0n7B3k2ViU

me2
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how even the newer, high end coaches break down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmppxID3hI

Would have been $2600 tow if not covered under warranty.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
You are the exception, certainly not the norm.

I haven't been buying the wrong anything. I've done OK with my trucks and trailers, though my last Superduty is falling apart. I wrote this to give newbies a heads up.

This guy is a great example of what happens when you rely on others to work on your RV. He'll do little stuff, but when it comes to anything major, he runs to Freightliner and pays the price. He spent over $20K the first 2 years of owning his used coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AH8jD4zR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM8XDmjNDpQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j98e3bd01Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2IymWQEBns

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
me2 wrote:
People need to realize something - RVs are not built for full time living. They are built for weekend use. Most everything used in an RV is light duty - taps, sinks, fridges, water heaters, tires, wheels, springs, brakes - the list goes on and on. Would you put any of these components in your house ? Nope. They why would you expect them to last when used full timing ?

Tow vehicles have gotten much better over the years. You can now get diesel pickup trucks with 450HP and over 1000 ftlbs of torque. But as great as they are, they are very expensive, they wear out extremely fast and they cost a fortune to fix. ....

As far as the interior part of the RV, plan to replace every component with a residential equivalent. Chairs, couch, mattresses, taps, shower head, water heater, fridge, cook top, etc. Isn't that like rebuilding the RV ? Why yes it is. In fact, you might want to consider buying a used RV and doing a reno on it.

Another issue with common RVs is the exterior fading. The decals put on RVs stay nice for a maximum of 5 years in the sun. And the fiberglass exterior fades quickly too. The solution to this is to paint the exterior of the RV.

As far as the trailer suspension goes, go look at the brakes and suspension that are under a high end horse or cattle trailer. It will probably be a heavy duty torsion axle with disk brakes. With heavy duty hubs. Made to be pulled across the country and back while hauling heavy loads. If you want piece of mind, replace your trailer suspension with similar equipment.

Tow vehicles are another conundrum. If you are pulling a smaller trailer, like 10K or less, a diesel truck still works. Just be prepared that nobody wants to buy it once it is out of warranty. And they depreciate very quickly.

Once you get above 15K you really need to consider using an HDT. A good used HDT will set you back $40K, which is half of the price of a new pickup. You'll probably need to do some work on it and it won't be trouble free going forward. But the issues will be small and affordable and you won't be looking to trade it off in 5 years. Or 10. In fact, it is highly unlikely you'll ever wear it out.

I would disagree with almost everything you wrote.

First there are a lot of cheaply made RVs. Apparently those are the ones you decided to buy. I did my homework and bought an RV that was well made. It is now approaching 20 years with several years of full time use and lots of part time use. I did have to replace the RV water pump and the sensor for the HW heater. Other repairs have been minor. I also replaced the dinette table leg but that was due to an upgrade not a failure. I also replaced the foam in the dinette cushion where my butt sat for thousands of hours in the evenings.

The exterior of the RV looks like new including all of the decals. I switched to ZEP finish about 5 years ago and now have almost no exterior maintenance.

I bought extended warranties for my pickup trucks. That pretty much guarantees that I will feel foolish for spending the money due to the lack of needed repairs. Not only have repairs been minimal over the years but the resale value is outstanding. After 80K miles and 8 years of use, my Ram was hit and totalled by a distracted driver. The insurance company gave me $35K and I had paid a bit less than $50K. Considering the use and years, $15K depreciation was minimal. There is a high demand for used pickups by contractors and construction companies. Extended cabs are in high demand because they can be used to carry work crews to the job site.

It seems you are buying the wrong RVs and the wrong trucks and/or abusing them.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TechWriter wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
me2 wrote:
I've been RVing since the early 90s. I've owned large 5th wheels for the past 22 years.

How long have you been full timing?

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Crickets. I think me2 needs to up his meds.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
bobsallyh wrote:
Way2Roll, if you were referring to my opinion not being factual, just be in RV parks/CGs 365 days a year and be very observant!

Referring to OP.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

me2
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Superduty down due to DEF issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsI90rteaCE