Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Avoiding AFS/VVT issues in next truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Avoiding AFS/VVT issues in next truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

You just have to keep good oil in them and change it on time. Run cheap oil and let the OLM get to zero and it changes everything.

No, you need to go to the other thread where the Tesla nut swinger fan boy says 15k OCI's are juuuust fine in your gasser truck!

BTW, you're correct. It certainly helps with these engines.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember the days (like 2007) when the argument was that 6 speed transmissions were going to always be shifting, who needed more than 4 speeds. Now 6 is not enough.

10 may give a slight fuel economy advantage, it may keep the rpm range closer all the time. I have never thought "wow, I might be in 8th gear if it had 10, or wish I had more gears to shift through" while driving or towing 15k. Then again, when driving the 10 speed I never thought - "I wonder what gear I would be in if there was only 6".

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I towed with a 5.3 Chevy with a 4 speed, I sure wished there was at least one gear between 2nd and 3rd.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a Ford guy but that F350 with the 7.3 Godzilla, a 10 speed, 4.10 gears and no DI or multi cylinder nonsense is an impressive truck. If GM would offer the new 6.6 gasser with a 10 speed and 4.10 gears they would have a nice truck. You could also look into finding a 2019 GM with a 6 liter and 4.10’s and call it a day. I love my 2015 6 liter.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

When I towed with a 5.3 Chevy with a 4 speed, I sure wished there was at least one gear between 2nd and 3rd.

I still find this with a 5.3 and 6 speed. Big jump in rpms at times. I might be jumping 2 or more gears, but it annoys me.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

You just have to keep good oil in them and change it on time. Run cheap oil and let the OLM get to zero and it changes everything.

Define, "on time."

Manual says 7500 miles.

Dealer says, when OLM gets down near 0%

I've been getting the oil changed at 6000 mile increments, by a GM dealer, since new. The OLM usually has 25-35% left on it at 6000 miles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a bunch of GM techs online that state not to let the OLM go below 20%. Not sure why the manual states 7500 miles when they have no idea how you drive your truck. I would never let the OLM reach zero. Just doesn't make sense to me. BTW my 2017 owner's manual states to check the olm and change oil IF NEEDED at 7500 miles. It does say to change it yearly no matter what the olm says.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you said you don't want a diesel... But, in 2015, we took a 2007 Yukon with 100K miles and a 2001 GM 2500 with the 8.1 and Alison, and traded for a 2015 Silverado Diesel. Best decision ever. Love the truck. I thought the 8.1 was a monster towing, not even close. By the way, we got almost as much trading the 2001 in as what we paid for it 4 or 5 years earlier. Not sure what your uses are, but the Diesel gets even better mileage than our Yukon did and it had the engine that half the valves turn off at highway speeds. As for around town and other driving, you wouldn't know its a diesel.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

I remember the days (like 2007) when the argument was that 6 speed transmissions were going to always be shifting, who needed more than 4 speeds. Now 6 is not enough.

10 may give a slight fuel economy advantage, it may keep the rpm range closer all the time. I have never thought "wow, I might be in 8th gear if it had 10, or wish I had more gears to shift through" while driving or towing 15k. Then again, when driving the 10 speed I never thought - "I wonder what gear I would be in if there was only 6".

Only 6 here and I still grab for 7th after hours of mind numbing high rpms on the highway. 175k miles later it still won't go into 7th gear dammit!!

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

07.5 and up 6.0 engines have VVT. Never an issue and I have seen several 6.0 with excess of 300k. I’m thinking the new 6.6 should be a good engine. Time will tell if it lives up to the 6.0, but it should. I will run the gas engines as well, to many issues diesel/emissions issues. We have run diesels in our family for years... now the 2011 Cummins appears to be my parents last. They will go back to gas if they ever get another. I still run my 09 2500HD with the 6.0. Just love this engine, it has been so reliable and flawless.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Avoiding AFS/VVT issues in next truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.