Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailer brake advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer brake advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Borrow a friends truck that has a brake controller?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldnt worry about any of that stuff and just tow it home. Don’t need a wdh for sure. Only in rvnet land, not in real world.
Your truck is pre wired for trailer brakes. If you can connect 4 wires you can install a conventional brake controller. Depending where you’re at in WA, I’ll give you one I have laying around.
Or Depending where you’re at, my 17 year old son is always looking for a side job. Can send him to pull it for you.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Borrow a friends truck that has a brake controller?

Yup, or rent one from Enterprise Truck, a 1 day 3/4 ton rental is $99.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soon2bexpat wrote:

I've been using the Curt Bluetooth since 10/19 and I am a full-timer. Works flawlessly.

If you were to lose signal, it still works your brakes at the last setting you used.

Maybe I'm not standing under what "wireless" means when it comes to brake controllers.
I have seen some haulers of oversize loads hang battery powered lights that work with turn signals. Wireless controlled.
If I mounted my wireless camera on the back of my trailer, I might see pic on dash.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your new tv have a break controller? If it dosen't you can use the same controller on both. Get a 80 buck controller and wire it in. Some are plug and play some are simple wires under the dash and connecting a wire or fuse in the front. After you get it home, take the controller out and vet a new wire pug tail harness thing.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Maybe I'm not standing under what "wireless" means when it comes to brake controllers.
I have seen some haulers of oversize loads hang battery powered lights that work with turn signals. Wireless controlled.
If I mounted my wireless camera on the back of my trailer, I might see pic on dash.

There's wireless brake controllers now. Plug into your truck at the back bumper, plug trailer into it. Control it from your phone bluetooth.

Pretty slick for the occasional user or with a vehicle not pre-wired for trailer brakes, like the olden days or light duty SUVs and minivans.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to go the opposite as everyone here. The issue with not having trailer brakes is in emergency situations and that no brakes can be hard on your truck brakes. You would still have the emergency e brake, so if the hitch came undone or something, the chains and brake pin would pull and trailer would stop - hopefully. But going 35 miles isn't a big deal if you are careful. Don't follow close, start stopping way in advance of a red light, etc. If anyone here has a newer chev - not sure about other trucks - if you get the dreaded "check trailer warning" you no longer have trailer brakes. This happened to me a handful of times just a couple weeks ago coming home, a couple hundred miles. I pulled over more than once to check my connection, check my brakes with my controller, etc. More than once, I didn't have trailer brakes. More than anything it is just hard on the truck. My last stretch leaves the freeway then goes 10 miles of stop lights with a large hill. Near home I realized my trailer brakes were again not working. I think it happens when I hit a bump. Anyway, no issues stopping - my trailer is 11K lbs. Not ideal, but in no way was anyone near me in danger. I often don't even use my brakes as I start slowing down way in advance. It doesn't take much to take your foot of the gas and let the drag slow you down.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I'm going to go the opposite as everyone here. The issue with not having trailer brakes is in emergency situations and that no brakes can be hard on your truck brakes. You would still have the emergency e brake, so if the hitch came undone or something, the chains and brake pin would pull and trailer would stop - hopefully. But going 35 miles isn't a big deal if you are careful. Don't follow close, start stopping way in advance of a red light, etc. If anyone here has a newer chev - not sure about other trucks - if you get the dreaded "check trailer warning" you no longer have trailer brakes. This happened to me a handful of times just a couple weeks ago coming home, a couple hundred miles. I pulled over more than once to check my connection, check my brakes with my controller, etc. More than once, I didn't have trailer brakes. More than anything it is just hard on the truck. My last stretch leaves the freeway then goes 10 miles of stop lights with a large hill. Near home I realized my trailer brakes were again not working. I think it happens when I hit a bump. Anyway, no issues stopping - my trailer is 11K lbs. Not ideal, but in no way was anyone near me in danger. I often don't even use my brakes as I start slowing down way in advance. It doesn't take much to take your foot of the gas and let the drag slow you down.

Unless you are in an emergency situation that necessitates you to stop quickly and you need the breaks. Like a kid on a bike that juts out in front of you. Or a large downgrade that requires addtional breaking. Towing without breaks, when there required is dangerous. Dont do it.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Does your new tv have a break controller?

I hope the controller isn't broken.
But, he hasn't bought a new truck yet, so there's no way to know.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the dealer deliver it for you. They should have trucks to move trailers between their lot and RV shows.

EDIT: Used unit, maybe it's a private party purchase.

Where are you and the RV located in WA?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer brake advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.