cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EXTENDED WARRANTY COMPANY COMPARISON?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the market for a barely used tow vehicle and want to buy an extended warranty. They have always paid off for us. Is there a extended warranty company that you may reccomend? I want to know they will come through for us. Any thoughts or reccomendations welcome.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
21 REPLIES 21

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, factory backed or nothing. And I definitely agree with shopping around. With Ram (and other brands?) you can buy from any dealer anywhere in the country. I paid about half what the dirtbag finance guy originally tried to get from me. 6 years ago, lifetime Maxcare for $2200. And it's paid off nicely. The trick is to actually keep the truck long enough. The majority of the profit is in screwing people when they purchase and/or people selling the vehicles and not using the warranty.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:
We are in the market for a barely used tow vehicle and want to buy an extended warranty. They have always paid off for us. Is there a extended warranty company that you may reccomend? I want to know they will come through for us. Any thoughts or reccomendations welcome.

i would only buy the vehicla's manufacturer extended warranty. i bought the Ford one on my used 2014 F150.
wouldn't even touch a 3rd party extended vehicle warranty.

X2 and keep in mind you can buy online from out of state dealers that heavily discount these high markup warranties.

What ^^^^^ he said.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:

i would only buy the vehicla's manufacturer extended warranty. i bought the Ford one on my used 2014 F150.
wouldn't even touch a 3rd party extended vehicle warranty.

X2 and keep in mind you can buy online from out of state dealers that heavily discount these high markup warranties.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2008, we bought a new Dodge Caravan, and I bought a 3rd party extended warranty from the dealer for 5 years/ 60,000 miles from a company I never heard of. Sometime later I was kinda regretting it, worrying that the company might go under. This was a Purchase Price Refund warranty, meaning that if I didn't use the warranty, I would get my money back.
Well, I never had to use that warranty on that van, and after the 5 years I got all my money back (nearly $2k), except for a $50 service fee.
Two years later I put that $2k towards a 2015 Town & Country with the Chrysler warranty.
They don't offer the Purchase Price Refund warranty anymore.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Me Again wrote:
gbopp wrote:
I get a few calls every week about buying an extended warranty.
I can give you several options. They sound sincere. :B

One such plan advertises on TV as much as those hawking Medicare Advantage plans. Has to be really good coverage if they can afford that much for TV adds, not!

Car Shield? They went bankrupt once I'm aware of , been investigated by the FTC at least once, but like zombies, they keep coming back.

Wait! Are you saying Ice-T would lead me astray?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:

The vehicles manufacture! Search for the best price before laying down your money. In 2015 we bought a RAM Max Care Warranty of 120K and 8 years, with $100 deductible on our RAM Diesel for 24xx dollars.

Have you had to use your warranty, I just got a quote of $2900 for 8/100, and seems high since the power train is already 5/100 warranty.
My 3/36 is fixing to expire, and trying to decide to get it or not. 35,550 miles on truck now. Thanks

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
manufacturer/dealer will sell extended warranty... MAKE SURE you haggle the price, they have. LARGE markup

And be sure if a dealer is selling it that it is the manufacturers plan as many sell both and push the 3rd party plan as it can make them more $$$.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturer's warranty it is. Thanks
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

manufacturer/dealer will sell extended warranty... MAKE SURE you haggle the price, they have. LARGE markup
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Technically they are extended service plans, not extended warranties.

I have had Ford ESP on several vehicles and happy with it. Have also had EasyCare on Ford vehicles and it was very good also. Never any problems on a covered repair. Only real difference the service advisor said is that they don't have to wait for approval for repairs with the Ford plan.

But in reality, have had very few repairs needing to be done while still under coverage. And only a couple have paid back enough to cover the initial costs of the ESP.

No, some of them ARE actual extended warranties (Volvo's for example). That part is worth looking into, on a manufacturer-to-manufacturer basis. A true warranty trumps a service plan, as has been discussed here already.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
gbopp wrote:

One such plan advertises on TV as much as those hawking Medicare Advantage plans. Has to be really good coverage if they can afford that much for TV adds, not!

Car Shield? They went bankrupt once I'm aware of , been investigated by the FTC at least once, but like zombies, they keep coming back.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Technically they are extended service plans, not extended warranties.

I have had Ford ESP on several vehicles and happy with it. Have also had EasyCare on Ford vehicles and it was very good also. Never any problems on a covered repair. Only real difference the service advisor said is that they don't have to wait for approval for repairs with the Ford plan.

But in reality, have had very few repairs needing to be done while still under coverage. And only a couple have paid back enough to cover the initial costs of the ESP.