Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper front moves 11 inches to one side, did I read that right? I am not sure there is that much space for mine to move. It never has moved noticably between 2 Trucks, 3 different campers and a number of different spacer concepts under the camper.
Something has got to be unique about your setup or usage.
Replacement with a belly bar may only expose another underlying issue. It may just fail at the weakest spot, wherever that is.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

NRALIFR-Curious, though doesn't look like with new upper tie off point would give enough angle (and you've solved your problem) why is the lower mount not to the hole in end of insert plate?
[image]

It’s easier to hook the tiedown there.

My jacks have to swing out a little farther than normal because the F450 is a few inches wider than the F350 dually of the same model year. Not sure if that’s still true with the current F450 pickups, but it was true in 2016. The truck wouldn’t fit between the front jacks that had been plenty wide for the F350 dually I used to have. So, my swing-out extensions have extensions now! That puts the forward hole so close to the jack when it’s swung in that it makes it harder to get the hook in the hole. And like you said, that little bit of angle isn’t enough to do any good. I tried using that hole on both front tiedowns for a while, and the camper could still slide backwards.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/03/20 05:27am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

You’re also picturing the forces all wrong. UPWARD force is what’s breaking them, not downward. They aren’t a good design, really.

Probably not contacting Torklift. Multiple sets have broken at $800 a pop and I don’t want to deal with the hassle anymore, so I’m going to make a better mount.

Why do you have so much upward force? Something is really wrong with your setup. Do you have an extreme amount of overhang or what? What truck do you have and which Arctic Fox.

I don’t agree that it’s a bad design. If it was, you would have had someone else note that they had the same issue. Also, if you are paying 800 for front mounts, you are paying over double too much.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to see actual picture of tiedowns mounted.
Something is badly wrong with design or use.
On my truck the plate where ties go is facing forward, what gives pulling force to keep camper against bed front wall.
On the picture above there is nothing that will hold the camper from moving to the rear.
Friction of bed mat works only when you park, while vibration during driving make the support liquefy

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP-do you have a SB camper on a LB?
I don’t see where you posted camper/truck model (other than 2500)?

How tight are your tie downs?

I’ve been around here quite a while, seen all kinds of mishaps/failures.
Never saw this before...

Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

My buddy has my old SRW with the Steel tie downs and they are ten years old and going strong.

DITTO on the "going strong" part,

My Arctic Fox 811, steel Torklift Tiedowns and Fastguns are going on 11 years old. I have NEVER had a problem with any of them.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

The front has moved 11 inches off center to the passenger side.

Is this on a flatbed truck? I can't understand how a normal truck bed (with wheel wells) would accommodate a truck camper moving 11" to one side or the other in the front.

When my long bed 811 is loaded on my long bed truck, and centered exactly, there's 2 3/4" between each bed rail and the corresponding side of the truck camper.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torklift stands behind their product so if you've been buying sets of mounts over and over and over that's on you. They would most certainly work with a reasonable, rational customer who came to them with such an issue. At the very least they can assess your setup and tell you what is happening.

For them to be breaking due to upward force you must be putting ungodly amounts of tension on the tiedowns, or hitting bumps hard enough to send the camper into space.

IMHO the camper should stay in the bed simply due to weight and friction under normal driving conditions. I myself would not hesitate to take the tiedowns off my camper and drive around town. It would not move a fraction of an inch and I am not doing anything special to keep it there.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

The front has moved 11 inches off center to the passenger side.

Is this on a flatbed truck? I can't understand how a normal truck bed (with wheel wells) would accommodate a truck camper moving 11" to one side or the other in the front.

When my long bed 811 is loaded on my long bed truck, and centered exactly, there's 2 3/4" between each bed rail and the corresponding side of the truck camper.

It twisted around the wheel wells.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Torklift stands behind their product so if you've been buying sets of mounts over and over and over that's on you. They would most certainly work with a reasonable, rational customer who came to them with such an issue. At the very least they can assess your setup and tell you what is happening.

For them to be breaking due to upward force you must be putting ungodly amounts of tension on the tiedowns, or hitting bumps hard enough to send the camper into space.

IMHO the camper should stay in the bed simply due to weight and friction under normal driving conditions. I myself would not hesitate to take the tiedowns off my camper and drive around town. It would not move a fraction of an inch and I am not doing anything special to keep it there.

It’s bumps sending it into space, I’m sure.

I’m just done dealing with the issue.

Torklift is definitely a good company. They offered to replace a rear mount that popped off before. It just came loose and was gone one day when I drove without the camper on. Just the bar/mount, not the rear frame mount.

So they are quite fair and nice.

But, their product can’t stand up to the loads on the front of my camper. I plan to fabricate something that will.

The problem has been temporarily solved until I get in somewhere. The movement of the camper in the bed has been stopped. I did some blocking in the bed to hold it in place. It is still loosely held in the bed in the front by the broken frame mounts, but it’ll stay until I get in somewhere in October.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.