Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

travisc wrote:

I’m curious why torklift hadn’t been engaged, I think they might have pertinent feedback maybe some questions for your installers, especially if you’ve done it twice,

Now that we have figured most of this out, I am wondering where TL is also.

Would love to hear their comments on the installation and their best guess on how it all happened to compare with the theories here.

Took you 7 pages to finally disclosure what really happen.
You blame tie-downs for serious issues with your truck.
I don't blame they don't want to step in it.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

travisc wrote:

I’m curious why torklift hadn’t been engaged, I think they might have pertinent feedback maybe some questions for your installers, especially if you’ve done it twice,

Now that we have figured most of this out, I am wondering where TL is also.

Would love to hear their comments on the installation and their best guess on how it all happened to compare with the theories here.

Took you 7 pages to finally disclosure what really happen.
You blame tie-downs for serious issues with your truck.
I don't blame they don't want to step in it.

Excuse me???

Do you have some kind of problem?

I don’t see you figuring out the problem in less than 7 pages. How about cutting me and the people who did solve the problem some slack? We can’t all be at your level of genius and solve a problem in one single post. Some of us need to figure out what happened and ask for help.

Isn’t that what a forum is for??

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somehow I've got a feeling that you deliberately delayed posting the pictures.
If that was honest mistake, I am sorry about my accusation.
But at this point looks like your problem belongs to truck forum.
You have a problem with truck, where failed camper tie-downs are the result of towers failure.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea what specific problems the OP has had with installation. There does appear to be some issues that have nothing to do with the tiedowns including a missing nut and torn metal on the truck.

I can say my Torqlift tiedowns were very heavy duty and if anything overbuilt. I suspect the frame of the truck would be damaged before the tiedowns would fail.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Somehow I've got a feeling that you deliberately delayed posting the pictures.
If that was honest mistake, I am sorry about my accusation.
But at this point looks like your problem belongs to truck forum.
You have a problem with truck, where failed camper tie-downs are the result of towers failure.

Yes, it’s a giant conspiracy. I came on here to ask for help but no, it was a ruse to trick you into voting a communist into office. That’s what it was. Just a scam. Obviously it’s not someone with broken Torklift frame mounts and repeated issues from them breaking after Torklift certified installers seem to have destroyed my truck. Nah, it’s not that. It’s just an elaborate scam to trick you because you’re soooo important.

I didn’t even make a mistake posting pics. YOU are the one bItching and complaining in my thread where I’m trying to find alternate methods of holding my TC down. Because now I called you out for your last out of line post you are now going to say I’m just a big ruse delaying posting pics?

What exactly is wrong with you, anyway?

You know what? If you don’t like this thread, don’t read it.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

.....someone with broken Torklift frame mounts and repeated issues from them breaking after Torklift certified installers seem to have destroyed my truck. ....

I misunderstood and I think some others did also. This is not about an issue with Torklift tiedowns breaking. The problem seems to be with the frame of your truck.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was waiting for this to go sideways......
I guess it's a bit of chicken or egg. Did the TL mounts break, causing the tearing of the metal towers or were the towers damaged previously and the TL's failed due to this damage. Minor structure failure could very easily have not been seen by the OP, so when seeing the broken TL, could be easily taken as a faulty TL and the TL breaking to have caused the tower damage. Again, chicken first or egg.
Like I said before, it's the internet. Easy to see something/someone as dodgy, especially when it's a unicorn problem. But care and consideration is still due, until otherwise proven to be dodgy.
And I'm not surprised TL hasn't chimed in. This seems like an issue they'd prefer to handle one on one, without the peanut gallery. That's what I'd do if it was my client. Particularly on here as threads go south at the drop of a hat.
Irregardless, that's some nasty damage and I feel for you OP. Hope it's something that can be repair and possibly make the TL's work and last as they should. [emoticon]

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

I guess it's a bit of chicken or egg. Did the TL mounts break, causing the tearing of the metal towers or were the towers damaged previously and the TL's failed due to this damage.

Torklift may pm, but I’ve never seen them respond directly on an RV.NET thread. I don’t think manufacturers are even allowed to respond on RV.NET.

I don’t think it’s possible for the TL mounts to break the truck. Torklift mounts have been used a couple of decades by thousands of people. They fully warranty their product as others have noted over and over.

Early in this thread, it was noted that something was “special” about the OPs setup. It just took a large number of posts for the OP to give enough info to point out a significant issue.

Still waiting for the zoomed out picture of the TC on the truck. I doubt we’ve seen all of what’s wrong with the truck setup. Something caused the extreme upward pressure, and that wasn’t the TL mounts.

I don’t have a problem with the OP bandaiding his setup, but I think he’s just changing the point of failure by making a different tiedown mount which could make a more expensive problem to fix. That is, OP could cause the TC mount points to pull out next. I don’t think what would be a good solution and could be extremely costly.

OP needs to find out why he has so much upward pressure.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

OP needs to find out why he has so much upward pressure.

It could have been the 2 different occasions where he hit large speed bumps, with “frame damage” from one of them. Somehow this didn’t make the “tie downs not working” thread.

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29976845.cfm

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 'speed bump' thread is where I got 1st picture of his truck from.
The damaged towers, current condition of them and improper bolting was already present. I don't think that was source. Once brace became unbolted though did add to damage.
Op was unaware of what things should look like. Mounts failed and simply assumed by the result it was mounts design at fault. Cant say about installer, if- as I think, towers were already as shown they just tried to make what he had work. Little surprised nothing was said but who knows. Going out on a limb just from what info available- I dont think excessive force is being applied, just what is supposed to resist isn't there.
All mute & I could be all wet- the OP has some project time ahead..

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.