Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Built in some new towers, bolted to the frame and bed. Put the bed floating on rubber spacers at the top of the towers.

It’s been a lot of work but the bed is now level, which should stop the TC from sliding to the passenger side and leaning that way also. It was tilting to the passenger side because that tower was crushed.

Driver’s side tower is in ok shape, but I’m removing some of it and putting in my custom heavy duty tower and rubber bumpers there too.

After that, I’ll fix the geometry of the TL mounts so they can’t break anymore. No more sheer forces on the tower/bed interface bolts from the diagonal support. I’m going to make it so the TL support is vertical. That will remove sheer stresses and change them to compression forces.

* This post was edited 09/21/20 07:18pm by HadEnough *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good call.
Too bad it took you 4 years, several threads with hundreds of mislead replies to get there.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Good call.
Too bad it took you 4 years, several threads with hundreds of mislead replies to get there.

It’s definitely regrettable. How come you didn’t figure it out 4 years ago? Ha ha.

I’m a boat guy. Never even knew how a truck bed was supposed to be attached until this thread. And some later googling

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

How come you didn’t figure it out 4 years ago?

I don’t think you posted 4 years ago about it, but the real clue was the picture. And ... of course, the fact that nobody here had ever heard of a TL mount breaking that way.

Fwiw, I don’t think the replies were that bad considering the description implied something that shouldn’t ever happen. At least you got it fixed which is the most important thing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

It’s definitely regrettable. How come you didn’t figure it out 4 years ago? Ha ha.

At the time I was doing finishing touches to the house I build in California, so sorry I wasn't here.
We do have more folks who know the stuff beside whining, but looks like they were busy at the time as well and if I read the 1st thread correctly- you were looking for a lawyer in it.
Sorry it went the way it did.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

At the time I was doing finishing touches to the house I build in California, so sorry I wasn't here.
We do have more folks who know the stuff beside whining, but looks like they were busy at the time as well and if I read the 1st thread correctly- you were looking for a lawyer in it.
Sorry it went the way it did.

That thread about the speed bump?

If this was more expensive, I should have used a lawyer against the city.

The speed bump/table was freshly laid and completely invisible. Unmarked.

Ok for a car to hit, but very bad for a TC to hit. Just the wrong fundamental frequency the suspension and it sent everything airborne. That’s definitely something to get a lawyer involved in. However, not worth it because the damage wasn’t expensive enough to warrant it.

I was completely out of control from the residual bouncing after hitting it too. It could have easily killed people. It’s an extremely dense, urban area with kids running all around. You have to be on high alert there. You spend most of your time watching sidewalks for children and people darting out from behind the parked cars that line both sides of the narrow, one way streets. Much more difficult than driving in Manhattan in nyc. If anyone has ever driven to Liberty Harbor RV park, they know what I’m talking about.

You actually don’t have anything like it where you’re from. You may think downtown LA is like it, but no. It’s not at all. You have huge, wide open lanes everywhere out west. Either that, or little quaint places with much lower population and most everyone driving. . All easy driving. Nothing compares to this dense, urban compact with roads that grew up from unplanned dirt paths crisscrossing each other every 100 or 200 feet . Where that speed bump is, it’s just as many pedestrians as cars and many of them are children running around the ghetto. Most roads are one way lanes you can barely squeeze a TC down without swiping the parked cars lining both sides. The people are going 30 mph or so down these roads and you are in a large line of vehicles doing 30 trying to watch the sidewalks for people potentially darting out from between the parked cars. You do NOT have right of way over the pedestrians.

So I can understand if people out west simply dint get it. You’ve never been in it if you haven’t driven there.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I am late to the party here but finally made the time to read this whole thread since I am currently shopping for tie-downs for my Lance 811. Good analysis of OP's pics by AnEv942.

Nobody has asked if the OP is using the right Torklift bracket for his truck. I see LOTS of permutations of tie downs based on truck configuration.

My bet is that the "professional" that installed these didn't have the right ones to fit the OP's truck, so he used what he had in stock and did some creative trimming to make them fit. IF OP was replacing them by model # it's possible that he kept installing the wrong one...

As the Brits say, "Glad you got all those bits sorted, then."

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comparing the pictures from 4 years ago, the "professional" tie-downs installer attached them to non-existent bed towers. Truck had serious structural problems and seems they were not addressed at the time and 2nd set of tie-downs was again attached to bolts hanging in the air.
I see whole chain of .. let's say "bad decisions" who happen in this time frame before real issue got addressed (taking OP word for it as no pictures to follow).
I am technical guy. When I have technical problem, I address technical problem, not seek a lawyer to do it for me.

* This post was edited 09/22/20 10:42am by Kayteg1 *

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP never did post a pic of the camper on the truck....

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

The OP never did post a pic of the camper on the truck....

Probably because it’s a highly unusual setup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.