Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: LCI power steps won't shut off
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> LCI power steps won't shut off

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several weeks ago, the power steps on our Motorhome (2012 FR Georgetown) started going crazy. Any time they retract or extend, the motor will not shut off until I grab the steps, and pull on them fairly hard. Steps will go out all the way, and motor keeps on running, steps shake/jerk as motor tries to keep extending them. Same thing happens when they roll in. Only way to stop it is to firmly grab the steps and pull out, or push in on them (or disconnect power to the steps).

I replace the motor a few years ago when it quit, so don't think thats it. Replaced the control module last week thinking that was it. No difference. Then thought it was maybe a bad ground connection, so I ran a wire straight from the negative side of battery connected directly to the two ground wires coming from the module. No difference.

Have concluded that this probaly is not an electrical issue. It seems more of a physical problem with the steps - Motor is not encountering enough 'resistance' at end of travel, for it to shut off as it is supposed to.

Have noticed there are cam stops on each side of the steps, that steps are supposed to come up against and stop on. Found where there is a procedure in the manual to re-align them. Seems they may be out of alignment, and one side is hitting first, causing this issue where steps keep trying to move on the side where it hasn't hit the cam stop yet. Will probably try next to adjust these cam stops.

Any thoughts, suggestions from anyone that might have experienced something similar with power steps? Has anyone ever adjusted those cam stops? Or maybe had similar issues with the steps, and fixed it another way?

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years when my steps act like they are possessed it always turns out to be low battery or loose/bad ground.

Kevin

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's probably a limit switch somewhere that got dislodged. Something along the lines of a refer light switch.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

There's probably a limit switch somewhere that got dislodged. Something along the lines of a refer light switch.

These steps don't work that way. Control module shuts motor off based on load, how much amperage motor is using. When it hits its stops (whether going in or out), steps stop moving, motor starts using more amps trying to turn, control module shuts it off.

Only limit switch is the cam stops I mentioned, which I will try adjusting next. They're not really a switch, but more a physical stop for the stairs.

Will

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

Over the years when my steps act like they are possessed it always turns out to be low battery or loose/bad ground.

Already ruled out battery early on (it does this even when hooked up to shore power or when engine running, and plenty of 12V power).

I too thought it could be ground, but as noted in original post, I've already ruled that out as well. Really thought running a dedicated ground wire to it would solve the problem, but it did not.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your problem is a BAD motor. Regardless of you replacing it a few years ago. This is a very common problem with LCI(Coach) steps. BTW Have you had the recall done to the steps? Double and Triple LCI steps have a very important Safety recall to install a brace under the pivot bolt for the Pie Gear. The other possible problem is if you have sheared off Gear teeth on that Pie shaped Gear assbly. This is easily seen when underneath the steps. Doug

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/recall/ccd_0002553.pdf

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Your problem is a BAD motor. Regardless of you replacing it a few years ago. This is a very common problem with LCI(Coach) steps. BTW Have you had the recall done to the steps? Double and Triple LCI steps have a very important Safety recall to install a brace under the pivot bolt for the Pie Gear. The other possible problem is if you have sheared off Gear teeth on that Pie shaped Gear assbly. This is easily seen when underneath the steps. Doug

Ahh, Doug, was hoping you'd respond. Have read, seen many of your posts, know that you are very knowledgeable on these things since you work on them.

No, have not had the recall done. Thanks for the info, I will look into getting that done.

Man, I **HOPE** it isn't the motor! I replaced it once, and remember it being a royal PITA getting all those screws, spacers, etc. lined up just right to put the new motor in. Soooo don't want to do that again!

Have you seen where specifically this happens (motor won't shut off), and it turned out to be the motor?

I was thinking gear teeth also, and looked at them closely. Gear teeth on both the pie gear and the motor look OK.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this problem on my old 97 Catalina, and lubing the steps with CFC fixed it. Or it was a miracle, hard to say with Coachmen products.

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yankee Clipper wrote:

I had this problem on my old 97 Catalina, and lubing the steps with CFC fixed it. Or it was a miracle, hard to say with Coachmen products.

Your 1997 did not have LCI steps, you had Kwikee. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Ahh, Doug, was hoping you'd respond. Have read, seen many of your posts, know that you are very knowledgeable on these things since you work on them.

No, have not had the recall done. Thanks for the info, I will look into getting that done.

Man, I **HOPE** it isn't the motor! I replaced it once, and remember it being a royal PITA getting all those screws, spacers, etc. lined up just right to put the new motor in. Soooo don't want to do that again!

Have you seen where specifically this happens (motor won't shut off), and it turned out to be the motor?

I was thinking gear teeth also, and looked at them closely. Gear teeth on both the pie gear and the motor look OK.

If the Pie gear teeth are OK, your motor is bad. Now, LCI will upgrade you to a Kwikee for a cost, if you choose not to have the recall done. Doug

GET THE RECALL DONE ASAP. YOU CAN GET SERIOUSLY HURT IF THE STEP FAILS.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> LCI power steps won't shut off
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.