Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to tow & push BACKWARDS?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RetroAirBnB

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Whitewater Retro 195 travel trailer.

I'm going to use it as an AirBnB in my yard.

The way the trailer needs to be situated is such that I cannot tow it into position.

I will need to PUSH the trailer in, from behind.

The area the trailer will sit in is not paved, it will be on gravel.

For that reason none of the motorized or powered dollies will work (based on the reviews I've read).

I'm wondering how I might mount a tow bar on the BACK of the RV, which i could then hitch to my 4runner. Effectively towing / pushing it backwards a bit.

The travel trailer has a large metal bumper, and I can see it'd be easy to mount a hitch RECEIVER on it.... and maybe jury rig something where i put in a 48" hitch extender, and then put a coupler on the end of that bar.... definitely not elegant, but maybe it will do the job?

Otherwise I have no idea how to move the darn thing from behind. It's 7000 GVW.

I can't be the only person with this problem.... does anyone have any solutions?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At my seasonal my trailer needs to be backwards in my site with pine trees preventing towing in with my truck.

I hired a guy with a skid steer to put it into position. If the trailer is small enough you might be able to use a garden tractor. On the front of the trailer.

You might be able to use a dolly on the tonge and push from behind as well if you had another person guide the dolly

RetroAirBnB

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much. I ordered a "Ultra-Tow Heavy-Duty Adjustable Trailer Dolly" thinking exactly that: that if I could push from behind, the person in front could steer with the dolly. It's the pushing piece I'm not sure about... I'm concerned I won't be able to manually push it given it's on gravel... and without some kind of mechanism between the 4runner and trailer.... just not sure how to do it.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chains and a come-along or even an electric winch.
You didn't say why you can't tow it in there. Are there trees in the way or buildings? If trees you can use a good rope and pulley attached to the tongue around the tree to the truck to pull it in place.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can’t winch it in, dolly on the tongue or just some plywood for the jack wheel to run on and put an old tire between the bumper and push vehicle (if you have something that actually has a bumper) and push it in.
Or 1 case of beer and a few friends/neighbors and push in by hand if it’s not uphill.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

RetroAirBnB

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much. A come-along or electric winch is a great idea. There really isn't a tree situated where I could pull from, but i could certainly sink a very large post in concrete to serve that purpose. That's a great idea.

There aren't trees or buildings in the way. The issue is that the trailer will need to fit into a side yard that is roughly 20' x 50'. So there's no good way to tow it in, and then get the tow vehicle out. The space is long, and narrow. Just too narrow.

Thanks for the come-along idea. That + sinking large posts in concrete is certainly a way to do this!

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"You might be able to use a dolly on the tongue and push from behind as well if you had another person guide the dolly"

You might need three. I tried with a dolly...failure! TTs are heavy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My concern would be local and/or state ordinances about occupation of a trailer as a residence. I know where I'm at that's a complete non-starter and I assume California is even more strict as far as regulation. Before you sink a bunch of time and energy into this you'd be smart to look into the legalities of what you're thinking of doing.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are welcome. Just remember these things roll when you don't want them to. Have something with brakes attached to the back of the trailer as you pull it in. Just in case it decides to roll toward the person using the come-along.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put in the post but chain a pulley to it. Attach a cable to the front of the rv go through the pulley back under the rv and attached to your pickup. Now your pulling it in.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.