Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to tow & push BACKWARDS?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

My concern would be local and/or state ordinances about occupation of a trailer as a residence. I know where I'm at that's a complete non-starter and I assume California is even more strict as far as regulation. Before you sink a bunch of time and energy into this you'd be smart to look into the legalities of what you're thinking of doing.

^^^ What he said

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My late father had a similar situation where he needed to position his trailer for storage. He rigged up a tow bar to the rear bumper of the trailer, and used his truck to back it. When he wanted to use the trailer, he pulled it out onto the street, then drove around to the other end and hitched up as normal.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RetroAirBnB

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, thank you. That's what I was trying to figure out: how to rig up a tow bar on the rear bumper. There's no products out in the market that i can see which would make that easy.

RetroAirBnB

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

afidel wrote:

My concern would be local and/or state ordinances about occupation of a trailer as a residence. I know where I'm at that's a complete non-starter and I assume California is even more strict as far as regulation. Before you sink a bunch of time and energy into this you'd be smart to look into the legalities of what you're thinking of doing.

^^^ What he said

Yep. Airstream / trailer AirBnBs are permitted here. It's not a permanent residence.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent a small fork lift and attach a ball to one of the arms

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to pull my 28 ft trailer into my back yard from a private street behind the house tongue 1st by using a front hitch previously had installed on my truck. I left about 6 feet behind the truck before the trailer was in it's final location so that I could unhitch back the truck up and drive around the trailer. I then used a powered tow dolly that I bought to try to get it in its final location but the tires kept spinning on the grass and dirt. The guy that cuts my grass was there so I was able to get him and 2 neighbors to push on the trailer while I guided it into place.

The reason I pulled it in that way was because I wanted the entry door facing the house instead of away from the house since the neighborhood is kind of sketchy. There's only 2 windows on the opposite side of the trailer. One tiny one at the kitchen sink and 1 escape window for the front bedroom which I could block, in case anyone wanted to break the windows to get in.

I'm wanting to move the trailer down the side of the house Because I want to build a shed and workshop with the trailer is sitting. If I pulled the trailer from the back yard to the side yard I then can't get it from the side yard to the street easily Because a crepe Myrtle tree would be severely damaged. So I'm getting a steel fabricator to make some metal wheels with cleats on them that will dig into the turf in order to use the dolly to pull the trailer without the wheels spinning. I found some metal wheels online that are made for using walk behind self propelled mowers on steep hillsides. They are drum shaped with cone shaped cleats on them. However they are $700 the each. I think I can get 2 wheels made that will work for less than $700. I'm waiting on an estimate right now.

Hopefully that will allow me to move the trailer around easier along with putting strips of plywood down under the rear wheels so I don't have a problem with the rolling resistance across the grass. Hopefully this might give you another idea.

I don't think adding a hitch to the rear of the trailer is a good idea since any amount of turning that may occur while moving the trailer is going to put a lot of side to side stress on the rear of the trailer where the hitch would be mounted.

* This post was edited 09/01/20 04:09pm by mobeewan *

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you do, remember you will need to get it out at some point.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

Put in the post but chain a pulley to it. Attach a cable to the front of the rv go through the pulley back under the rv and attached to your pickup. Now your pulling it in.

This sounds too easy and sounds like the least hassle to geterdone.

Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
back on the camping trail, bought another Aliner.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetroAirBnB wrote:

Yes, thank you. That's what I was trying to figure out: how to rig up a tow bar on the rear bumper. There's no products out in the market that i can see which would make that easy.

Depends on what you've got on the rear of the trailer. If you have either a C-channel or square tube bumper back there, Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive tow bar that comes with brackets which bolt right up to a CJ or YJ front bumper, and would easily bolt or weld to your trailer rear bumper. Then 2 pins and it comes right off the trailer for storage.

I think it would work perfectly for you, but you need to make sure your front jack has a swivel wheel, and keep it from digging in to your gravel. The trailer is already front heavy obviously, so it needs to travel and turn on that front jack wheel. You could probably lay some plywood down for it to run on.

Someone above mentioned the door being on the wrong side of his trailer, and that is exactly why my father did this. To get his entry door where he needed it, and the other side was up tight against a fence. He was also fighting a fairly steep incline, but it still worked fine.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California strict? No kidding!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.