cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 E-450 Outer Tie Rod end seal

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I was greasing the chassis of my 2016 E-450 and I noticed the seal on the passenger side steering outer tie rod leaked the grease out and the boot did not seem to fill up at all. Is this something I can replace? Just grease it more regularly and it should be fine? Part number for replacement? Issues with driving it while I work on fixing it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
8 REPLIES 8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
:S

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I might just try to tackle this myself. Anyone happen to know the part number? I looked and found several that appear to be the same, but all different part numbers.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

LeslieCovin1974
Explorer
Explorer
Racine96 wrote:
When replaced,you will need alignment.

maybe there are some another ways?

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
When replaced,you will need alignment.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And if you just measure the old one before removing, no alignment needed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily replace the tie rod end yourself but you will need to adjust the toe-in after doing so or, you can just grease it every month and keep driving it for a long time.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a steering part on a motorhome, take it to a shop to be inspected or repaired, the part is not expensive and its not labor intensive. It just needs to be done right. When a tie rod fails you lose the ability to steer the vehicle.

The boot can tear or unseat allowing grease to come out. If the grease is gritty then its been torn for a bit of time allowing dirt to penetrate. At that point it gets worse, the ball might have some play in it from it wearing out from road dirt.
A front end/tire shop would know if a polyurethane replacement is avl which I think it is.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ya, have to pop the tie rod out of the spindle. I’ve put universal ones on before.
Is it torn or can you clean it up and get it to hold?
Depends which end popped apart whether you can fix it. Unless it’s torn.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold