cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camp Hatteras Route

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
End of the month we will be heading to Camp Hatteras from NE Ohio with our fifth Wheel. Would like to avoid the big cities (DC/Richmond) and the expensive PA turnpike. Looking for any good suggestions. Will also need and overnight stay some where about two thirds of the way there.

We've gone of Myrtle Beach a number of time and know that route but that is too far south.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210
9 REPLIES 9

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
My airy rv park Mt airy N.C. would be about half way , neat town . Andy Griffin home town

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Going to take 77 to 74 to 40/85 to High Point to a campground (Oak Harbor) there. Know it is off 40 but looks more promising than KOA. On way back home looking at a place near Mt Airy.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
When you hit 40 at Winston stay on it, don’t get back on 74. Pick up 64 in Raleigh and it ends at the ocean, art 12.

this ^^^

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you hit 40 at Winston stay on it, don’t get back on 74. Pick up 64 in Raleigh and it ends at the ocean, art 12.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good route and looking at the two places near Mt Airy for stop on the way back to Ohio. Would like to get further east for the overnight stop o the way to the cape.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
JJnLilly wrote:
That looks like a good route and am very familiar with I77. Now to find a decent place for overnight not too far off the highways somewhere near the halfway mark. I can see some around the 450 mile mark.

In NC on I74 at exit 8 there is a campground, Beechnut CG.
to get to it- I74 exit 8, go left on Red Brush road, watch for signs. there is a sign on the corner of Red Brush and George McKinney road, turn right on George Chandler road, go about 1/4 mile. CG is on the left.

Another one, on I74 at exit 11 , at highway US601. turn right, go about 1/4 mile, turn left on McKinney road, look for signs.
Mayberry CG.

We live in Mt. Airy and have been to both of these many times.

Beechnut is about 3 miles from our house. Mayberry is about 7 miles.

To continue South, take I74 which runs into US52, and continue South to Winston Salem. At exit 107A go East, here take I40 East for a couple miles and pick up I74 again.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone to the outer banks & Virginia beach from Pittsburgh pulling a 40' 5er several times. I take I-79 south to Morgantown WV & then I-68 across to Hancock & Rt 522 south to Winchester. By pass around Winchester to I-66 east to Rt 17 south & by pass around Warrenton on rt 17 into Fredericksburg & I-95 south to I-295 by pass around Richmond to I-64 east.
Most all of Rt522 is 4 land divided highway and no towns to go thru, other than 2 lane for 2 or 3 miles thru Berkeley springs & that is 3 or 4 stop lights. Same with Rt 17, 4 lane divided highway. Worst part of the trip is I-95 from Fredericksburg south to the I-295 by pass at Richmond if the traffic on I-95 is heavy...

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a good route and am very familiar with I77. Now to find a decent place for overnight not too far off the highways somewhere near the halfway mark. I can see some around the 450 mile mark.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
how about I77 South to Winston-Salem, NC, then I40 East to Raleigh, then US64.
You will have the WV turnpike.
Not sure where in NE Ohio you are at.
Plenty of campgrounds along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S