Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ford 7.3 v8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 v8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Ford spent a lot of money designing and developing the new 7.3 to replace the reliable V-10.

I am not sure copying the GM LS engine is really "designing and developing" but I am sure they spent a lot of money in printer ink handing out copies of the LS engine design to their engineers.

Hate much!
I'm pretty sure Ford didn't copy he LS engine. If they did they would've been sued by now.
That's like saying you can't use a V-8 because we have a V-8!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Kevin...and...the tech worth copying are patented...

Surprised no direct injection, as the higher compression ratio direct inject allows would have bumped the power much higher

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Ford spent a lot of money designing and developing the new 7.3 to replace the reliable V-10.

I am not sure copying the GM LS engine is really "designing and developing" but I am sure they spent a lot of money in printer ink handing out copies of the LS engine design to their engineers.

Exactly what did they copy on the LS?

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no hate for Ford or their 7.3 gas engine, Nearly every in depth article compares how the 7.3 as a very close copy of the LS. The LS has been out for many years I doubt there are many patients that are still active. The LS works and I dont blame them for building their version of it. The point I was making is that it wasnt a technological marvel in creating it. I think I have been pretty consistent, other than the 6.0 Diesel discussions, I really keep to myself on these types of discussions.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

I have no hate for Ford or their 7.3 gas engine, Nearly every in depth article compares how the 7.3 as a very close copy of the LS. The LS has been out for many years I doubt there are many patients that are still active. The LS works and I dont blame them for building their version of it. The point I was making is that it wasnt a technological marvel in creating it. I think I have been pretty consistent, other than the 6.0 Diesel discussions, I really keep to myself on these types of discussions.

Ford invented the V8, nearly 90 years ago and have been making V8s ever since. We see all the time that technology limitations and design goals push designers to very similar products. The main things that I have heard about the 7.3 is that it is designed to be very robust to survive in medium duty applications and that it has a unique combustion chamber that promotes efficiency over power. That sounds like it is just what is needed in a motorhome.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bam off topic before the 2nd page!
Good work guys!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Ford invented the V8, nearly 90 years ago and have been making V8s ever since.

Not true, see this.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikervet wrote:

We are thinking of ordering a new motorhome with a gas engine and there does not seem to be a choice. From what I see the V10 is no longer available.

The V8 is superior to the V10. There was a recent side by side test and the V8 pulled away from the V10 easily. MPGs? I don't think either is great but what can you expect moving a box down the road? I'm pretty sure I read the V8 is an improvement over the V10.

To me the biggest benefit to the new F53 chassis isn't even the engine. They are FINALLY putting read sway bars and suspension and it has MUCH less body roll. The same video that showed the acceleration comparison took an old and new F53 chassis through the cones and the difference was pretty amazing. And, as anyone who has spent time of these message boards can tell you, complaints about handling in the old F53 chassis are very easy to come by.

Here's the video I was talking about. It's 20 minutes but is very educational:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/02/exclusive-ford-7-3l-v8-van-vs-rv-vs-chassis-this-is-not-the-worlds-greatest-truck-drag-race-but-its-cool-video/

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Groover wrote:

Ford invented the V8, nearly 90 years ago and have been making V8s ever since.

Not true, see this.

OK, so it has been around 116 years. I think that the patent has long since expired.

RV video clicky.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all realize that the RV versions of this 7.3 drivetrain will not be appreciably better than the outgoing V10, right.
It’s disappointing that the chassis models get old technology and less power.

* This post was edited 09/05/20 09:27am by Grit dog *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 v8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.