Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the automobile industry (maybe because of consumer expectations) we expect the quality of workmanship to be the same regardless if we are purchasing a Chevrolet or Cadillac. The Cadillac will be more expensive primarily because the interior is more expensive but we expect the workmanship (such as the fit between the doors and fenders) of the Chevrolet to equal that of the Cadillac.

I have been following RV.net for over 15 years during this time there has been a number of postings about the poor workmanship on travel trailers and fifth wheels. I really don’t follow motorhomes postings.

My question: is the poor workmanship limited to the entry-level trailers or is it also a problem with the higher price trailers?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At one time or another you will read here about problems with all price ranges. More about the lower end as there are far more of those sold. But the higher end ones are also mentioned from time to time, but less so as they sell fewer of them. Percentage of each? No one really knows.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poor quality in both, higher end is usually materials and sometimes framing.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indiana is where most towable RV's are made. Their minimum wage is is $7.25/hr. You really can't expect much from that.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the public keeps buying poor workmanship/junk and accepting it as normal, the manufactures have no incentive to raise the quality of their products.

(The $7.25 an hour doesn't help the problem.)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 soon they,ll be using left over news paper for side wall.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The higher end unit workers leave better lunch scraps hidden behind appliances and cabinets.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had a few less things fall off on our initial few trips with our Montana High Country than we did with our Impact Toyhauler, and our warranty repair list is shorter (taking it in after our last trip here next week). I'd consider the Montana HC a step above the Impact in terms of "levels". Not sure if that's any indication. Could be ours was on the assembly line on the right day, and not on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If people keep buying the cheapest RV they can find, that's what the manufacturer will make for them. You get what you pay for. If you get a cheap one don't complain later that it is made cheaply.
What was that saying, "A poor man buys everything twice"

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever look at a small trailer? For some reason in the RV industry small equates with cheap. Only decent small trailer is an Airstream, but they are not worth anywhere near the price they ask.
RV industry also equates small with entry level.
Hey RV industry. I want a SMALL 22/24ft high quality trailer. I do not want entry level, I do not want cheap,I will never want large! Are you listening?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.