Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Just because a company pays more does not necessarily mean the quality improves.

But the premise in bringing it up on this thread is if pay is low, you get low quality...but pay isn't low.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

And on the other hand, tipped employee minimum wage is $2.13/hr.

This is false information.

You are quoting a specific part of the requirements for tipped employees, while leaving out critical information to mislead.

$2/13/hr is the portion required to be paid directly by the employer regardless of how high the tips are. BUT if the total hourly rate with tips included is less than the minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference. Net result, no one is making $2.13/hr.

Reality is most tipped wait staff make double or more than minimum wage. There is a reason, they don't fight to switch to a straight wage system and outlaw tipping.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

And on the other hand, tipped employee minimum wage is $2.13/hr.

This is false information.

You are quoting a specific part of the requirements for tipped employees, while leaving out critical information to mislead.

$2/13/hr is the portion required to be paid directly by the employer regardless of how high the tips are. BUT if the total hourly rate with tips included is less than the minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference. Net result, no one is making $2.13/hr.

Reality is most tipped wait staff make double or more than minimum wage. There is a reason, they don't fight to switch to a straight wage system and outlaw tipping.
This is NOT false information. Employers are "supposed" to make up the difference, but there are many ways to get around that. I have several relatives who do that kind of work in Indiana. They are dirt poor.

Now back to your RV quality conversation.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

I always thought that they were paid piece work rate for speed hence the poor quality.

I saw on another forum that they are paid by the units produced. I don't know if all of them, but that would explain the poor workmanship right there. There is ample evidence that these rigs are speed built. People don't generally rush unless there's motivation.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't bought new for 20 years but paying more worked for me. I also found a brand with high quality materials and we worked our way up to a very comfortable size and this is our third one. It's great to be in a club so I find used ones that I know are VERY GOOD. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

In the automobile industry (maybe because of consumer expectations) we expect the quality of workmanship to be the same regardless if we are purchasing a Chevrolet or Cadillac. The Cadillac will be more expensive primarily because the interior is more expensive but we expect the workmanship (such as the fit between the doors and fenders) of the Chevrolet to equal that of the Cadillac.

I have been following RV.net for over 15 years during this time there has been a number of postings about the poor workmanship on travel trailers and fifth wheels. I really don’t follow motorhomes postings.

My question: is the poor workmanship limited to the entry-level trailers or is it also a problem with the higher price trailers?
You can't compare the auto industry to the RV industry as far as quality goes. The auto industry makes hundreds of thousands of the same vehicles which allows them to fully automate the mfg processes. The production tooling and capital equipment used can be amortized over thousands of vehicles. Engineering drawings are all done in 3D computer programs as well as the tooling and capital equipment like 5 axis machines. This process assures all the parts will fit coming from a common data base. In addition the more units they produce the cost comes down because of the learning curve. The RV industry makes very few units compared to the auto industry so they can't afford this type of production tooling and capital equipment because of fewer units built to amortize the costs. For example RV's are labor intensive with workers laying out and drilling holes by hand vs machines. Think about it, if you were asked to drill and install 1000 fasteners by hand do you think you might screw up a few. Quality must be built into the mfg process not inspected in afterwards. Having said all that highly skilled workers can mitigate many of the quality issues but still cannot compete with the production processes of the auto industry. As far as cost goes if I had to guess the rv industry is on an 85% learning curve, each time you double the units produced the man hrs are reduced by 15%. So you can see the fewer units produced the higher the costs. If we all bought the same RV the costs would come down considerably, but this is America and we all want something different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.