cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathon tires- Ever get reimbursed?

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Title pretty much says it all. Has anybody on here actually got reimbursed for failing Goodyear Marathon Tires?
If you did, how did you go about it?

I replaced 4 load range D Marathons that were 8 years old with 4 load range E Marathons 4 1/2 years and maybe 2,000 miles ago. I had one blow out on the 4th of July weekend trip. Took the trailer for inspection today and 2 more have bubbles in the tread.
So 4 new Carlisle's going on today and the off brand tire I had to buy after the blow-out will be the spare.

Not looking for tire advice. I'm looking for reimbursement advise.

Thanks
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
12 REPLIES 12

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem is blown tires side of the road or even a wreck. I would opt for the next higher rated tire from G to H for instance and higher rated aluminum rims and stainless steel valves. Cost a bit but won't have to deal with the problem hopefully again. On our Fifth wheel when jacking it around backing it onto our concrete pad at home I noticed wear and scuffing the tires around can damage the belts in the tires. After we became somewhat familiar with the Fifth Wheel we tried to find RV Parks with Pull throughs.On dirt though the problem not as much a problem, perhaps. We lost all four of the OEM Goodyear Wranglers and Dealer, as I said before gave us an adjusted price on new ...but higher rated 16 in and a size larger tires and I bought heavy aluminum rims.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Common practice for GY to replace Marathon failures. Unfortunately, with another set to the same. Sometimes even covered damage to the trlr.

But - no compensation for down time.

These forums (and others) are full of Marathon tales of woe. Try a search in the archives!

Give someone a cut rate "deal" on the replacements - purchase a different brand - with a better success story.

Or...."history" is bound to repeat itself.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
The ending of the story. Got called back by Goodyear customer service. They are sending me a voucher good towards a future Goodyear tire purchase. I feel the amount was fair. I calculated that they should owe me around $200 plus the $35 dollars it cost me for repairs. The voucher is for $239.
I would rather have cash but I can live with the voucher as I know I will need tires again in the future on some vehicle.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Called Goodyear corporate customer service Friday. They asked me to take the tires to a nearby Goodyear tire store. We will see if anything good comes out of it.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I had a boat trailer with Marathons. Had a blow out but GoodYear denied my claim because there wasn't anything left of the tire, they say, to identify it as a GoodYear tire. I wouldn't buy anything from GoodYear for the way they treat some of their employees recently.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Weren't Marathons but Goodyear Wrangler LT tires from factory on our Holiday Rambler. Took them to a Dealer and he replaced them prorated. I should have claimed the damage to the skirt around the tires. don't use Armor all on them. Vapors from the rubber has to escapes and it will though cracks that have to form in a sealed surface somewhere.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I called Goodyear earlier this year about any possible recall on Marathons mounted on a 5er when I bought it 1/1/2020. I gave them the DOT codes on the tires and was told that they were not Goodyear tires.I don't remember the codes now but they started with 2Y IIRC.
The amount of counterfeit stuff out there makes me wonder. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Puma 30RKSS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Whiskey.
I don't have the one that blew out. Left that in Delaware. I wasn't going through the hassle of dealing with steel cords jabbing me in the hands moving it around any more than I had to. I do have a piece of tread from it as I had to remove it from a bracket on the bottom of my slide when I got home to do repairs. I will have the three other marathons that are being replaced and two of them have bubbles on them.

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Yes... I bought the tires in August of 2013, replacing the original Marathon tires with the same. The made date was 18-13, so the 18th week of 2013, April or May of 2013. They were 235-80-16 or 17, I forget which. But the air pressure was 80 psi, and I always checked & maintained that pressure before moving the 5er. I remember this trip well. It was 20 degrees when I left Pittsburgh and there was 80psi in each tire. I stayed over in South Carolina and the next morning it was 50 degrees there & the tires all showed 84psi cold, so I let out 4 pounds in each tire, thus pulling out I had 80psi in each tire.
I also weighed the 5er 2 or 3 times at CAT scales over the years so I was not over weight. I blew out 2 of them on the way to Florida in December of 2017. I also did not drive over 60mph. The right rear blew first damaging the fender & brackets etc. Then about 8 hours later driving only 50mph the left front blew out but did not damage anything. I was driving only 50mph because it was the original spare I put on the right rear and it was 9 years old, and never on the ground before, so I was afraid it would blow out.
I went to a Goodyear store and filed a claim. The tires were 4 1/2 years old. I bought the tires in Pennsylvania & filed the claim in Florida. I was more interested in getting the 5er fixed than getting the tires paid for. I got an estimate to fix the 5er for $2200. and sent it to them. The dealer had to send the 2 tires that exploded back to the factory in Akron. So I hope you have your old tires from your rig or you can get them as I think Goodyear does some testing or they need to see the tires at the factory.
Goodyear sent me a check for the $2200. damage and $110. for the 2 tires. I think I paid around $150. or $160. for each tire when I bought them in 2013 and I did use them for 4 1/2 years. Probably around 12,000 miles on the tires, and a lot of tread still on them. I think that was fair and Goodyear paid to get the rig fixed.
Here is the address from 3 years ago
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Property Damage Claims
200 Innovation Way
Akron, Ohio 44316
800-322-4682
Good Luck

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Not trailor tires , but tires on a new car years ago were old and started cracking. I took them to an dealer after spending time on the phone with the with the car dealership who said i had to deal with them directly. Then i had to argue with the tire company. In the end they gave me like 20 bucks. So not woth the hassle of contacting them and finding a dealers tire shop etc. Hope your ordeal works out better.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ryoung wrote:
Very simple. The dealer who sold you the replacement Marathon E tires should be you contact for the Marathon warranty.

ryoung

Didn't buy them through a Goodyear dealer.
I bought them through an independent local garage.
I have found a customer service section of GoodYears website. I'll start there one I have all my information together.

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
Very simple. The dealer who sold you the replacement Marathon E tires should be you contact for the Marathon warranty.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840