cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Network receiver question

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new motorhome and have had Directtv forever. 25 years at least? Almost since they first started. Anyway, they’ve gone way downhill since AT&T took over and may even go under before long. So I had the new motorhome set up for Dish Network.

I just placed my order have Dish installed at my house next week and I’ll get rid of Directv when that’s done. So the question is, I’ll need a receiver for my motorhome. As best I can tell, on the Dish website they recommend the Wally receiver. But I really would like to have a DVR in the motorhome. Does the Hopper work in a motorhome? Can you have a Hopper at home and a Hopper in the motorhome on the same account?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

18 REPLIES 18

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
One option with Dish that I don't think Direct really offered is DishAnywhere. With the right setup at home that has as internet connection, you can "sling" all your Dish channels to where you happen to be in your RV - as long as you have a internet connection there as well. It doesn't cost anything and it will even sling local channels you might be receiving at home with an OTA antenna.

I've use this setup in my RV for some time now without any problem.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
As Bill said the KD 9630 will no longer work with DISH Network since March 2016.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

seabreeze321
Explorer
Explorer
Will a Dish Wally work with a King Dome 9630 (its 15 years old) .. I currently have DirecTV and it works great but I want to change to Dish Network, I just don't want to buy another "dome" for the motorhome.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I still have DTV, with a DVR that works fine. Not having a DVR would be a deal-breaker for me.

I don't know what 'going downhill' means, the only real trouble I've had with Direct is changing locals. I solved that by giving them an LA address.

If DTV is hemorrhaging customers, can Dish be far behind?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
Thanks all, that answers my questions. I did get the in motion dome, so sounds like I’ll have to do without a DVR and watch commercials! I can live with that.

As I said earlier , the wally is a DVR you just need to add a hard drive to it and you can record pause and fast forward. So no , you don’t have to do without a DVR. I thought I had made that point.
It’s actually cheaper as you aren’t paying extra for dvr tuner beyond the one time fee
Bill

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 211k in the house and move it to my rv when traveling. I have a hard drive plugged into it for a dvr. I use a Tailgater automatic dish. I have used a Dish 500 before. There is no cost to do this.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
It is my understanding that DISH will not allow two Hoppers on the same account.

Not true. You can have two Hopper 3s on the same account. However, as mentioned previously, you'll have to purchase that 2nd Hopper 3.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
I want to get a receiver just for the motorhome, and my understanding with Dish is you don’t need a separate account. You can add it to your existing account. I think if you go with the Wally, it’s only an extra $7 a month. But I want the DVR so that’s why I’m asking. I get my house DIsh installed next week so I’ll ask the installer then if somebody on here doesn’t know the answer.

Yes, the extra Wally will only cost an extra $7/mo for the months you have it enabled. You can disable it when not needed to save a few bucks.

You can attach a DEDICATED disk drive to the Wally via the USB plug (in back) to function as a DVR after you register it with DISH for about $40 and then format the drive for the Wally. DISH website has good info on how to do that on their Support website.

Since you expect to have multiple Wally's, you will be able to copy/transfer movies between Wally's using a DEDICATED (specially formatted) thumb drive.

PS. You can transfer from Wally to Wally but not Hopper to Wally
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Why focus on Hoppers and Wallys? There are lots of still new or used previous generation receivers out there. Up until a few years ago I had a basic H11 receiver.....just plugged a 1TB hard disk into it for DVR.....and there are a number of older Dish DVRs available. I just added my receiver to my home account as an RV receiver.....Dish was perfectly agreeable with that.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 211k in the MH when I switched the house chrome direct to dish. The installer said $7 more on the same acc. He got the set# and turned it on. I have a hard drive plugged into the 211k so it is a DVR.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, that answers my questions. I did get the in motion dome, so sounds like I’ll have to do without a DVR and watch commercials! I can live with that.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Which model dish did you have installed on the motorhome? If it's not a Trav'ler or similar full sized dish but rather one of the dome style dishes, a Wally is the current best receiver choice. The dome style automatic dishes do not work with a Hopper.

It’s the in motion dome, so thanks, that’s good info to know.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that DISH will not allow two Hoppers on the same account. Also, as others have said, you need a Winegard Trav'ler or R F Mogul Eagle open face three LNB type antenna on your RV to use a Hopper, NO DOME ANTENNAS.