Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Dish Network receiver question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Network receiver question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a new motorhome and have had Directtv forever. 25 years at least? Almost since they first started. Anyway, they’ve gone way downhill since AT&T took over and may even go under before long. So I had the new motorhome set up for Dish Network.

I just placed my order have Dish installed at my house next week and I’ll get rid of Directv when that’s done. So the question is, I’ll need a receiver for my motorhome. As best I can tell, on the Dish website they recommend the Wally receiver. But I really would like to have a DVR in the motorhome. Does the Hopper work in a motorhome? Can you have a Hopper at home and a Hopper in the motorhome on the same account?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question. We dropped Direct for the same reason and have two Wallys for the house. The guy from Dish said there was no use in having another account for the MH and just take one of the Wallys out of the house and use it when we travel. Interestingly enough, the places we have stayed either have cable or strong wifi and we have not used it yet.
I'm sure they will have a good word for you if you give them a call.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which model dish did you have installed on the motorhome? If it's not a Trav'ler or similar full sized dish but rather one of the dome style dishes, a Wally is the current best receiver choice. The dome style automatic dishes do not work with a Hopper.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to get a receiver just for the motorhome, and my understanding with Dish is you don’t need a separate account. You can add it to your existing account. I think if you go with the Wally, it’s only an extra $7 a month. But I want the DVR so that’s why I’m asking. I get my house DIsh installed next week so I’ll ask the installer then if somebody on here doesn’t know the answer.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a travler or equivalent full dish , no domes, to use a hopper.
The wally can easily have a limited dvr ..( one Chanel at a time ) you just add a portable computer hard drive via usb cord to the wally and pay a one time 40$ fee to activate dvr use on all wally tuners on the account. If you do have a travler antenna the wally will have two tuners and record two or watch one record one
Technically you can’t have a hopper in a rv unless you own the hopper , no “free” receiver with contract deal. You need to buy it outright from someone. The hoppers hard drive has a reputation of failing bouncing around in rv’s They won’t cover its breaking. If you do use one be sure to unplug it before moving the rv.
Two hoppers on a single account aren’t supposed to happen but it seems that doesn’t mater if you activate your own hopper ( see above ) .

* This post was edited 09/02/20 06:33pm by jorbill2or *

Bill

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding that DISH will not allow two Hoppers on the same account. Also, as others have said, you need a Winegard Trav'ler or R F Mogul Eagle open face three LNB type antenna on your RV to use a Hopper, NO DOME ANTENNAS.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Which model dish did you have installed on the motorhome? If it's not a Trav'ler or similar full sized dish but rather one of the dome style dishes, a Wally is the current best receiver choice. The dome style automatic dishes do not work with a Hopper.

It’s the in motion dome, so thanks, that’s good info to know.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, that answers my questions. I did get the in motion dome, so sounds like I’ll have to do without a DVR and watch commercials! I can live with that.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 211k in the MH when I switched the house chrome direct to dish. The installer said $7 more on the same acc. He got the set# and turned it on. I have a hard drive plugged into the 211k so it is a DVR.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why focus on Hoppers and Wallys? There are lots of still new or used previous generation receivers out there. Up until a few years ago I had a basic H11 receiver.....just plugged a 1TB hard disk into it for DVR.....and there are a number of older Dish DVRs available. I just added my receiver to my home account as an RV receiver.....Dish was perfectly agreeable with that.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Network receiver question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.