cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laptop Shuts Off

salem
Explorer
Explorer
HP laptop, maybe 5 years old. When I turn it on after abut five minutes it will completely shut down and then reboot. Sometimes it will do it more than once as I'm trying to read something. Is it time for the shop or a new unit? Anything I can do on this end?
16 REPLIES 16

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Laptops have thermal sensors in several locations, if things get to hot the bios shuts them down, at the age of the laptop, the air is the first solution the second would be thermal grease around the cpu and heat sink, sometimes that gets dried out.
Winnebago Access 24V

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Is the cooling fan working? Have you tried blowing some canned air/compressed air through the cooling fins? It could be overheating.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
cavie wrote:
5 year old laptop. might be time to start looking for a new one.
Mine is 11 years old. Just fine for light use.

My trusty Toshiba laptop is about the same age as yours, perhaps older (I forget when I purchased it, but I know itโ€™s been quite some time ago). So what you say is correct, a laptop can last a long time if treated properly. When a problem arises, I merely reset the operating system and seems to be good as new. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I'll pick up a can first chance I get. Thanks.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
My old laptop started shutting down due to overheating. And it did it very soon after booting up.

Buy a spray can of compressed air. Blow it trough all of the vents. It could just be dust causing an overheat condition.

Do this at least once/year.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Blow the whole computer out with a can of compressed air.
May attention to the fan and dive areas. Some hard drives need to have cover removed. Blow out the ram chip compartment.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
cavie wrote:

yep, same here

bumpy

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
cavie wrote:

My old laptop started shutting down due to overheating. And it did it very soon after shooting up.

Put your hand on the bottom after it shuts down, check to see if it's hot.

On mine the fan heat sink on the CPU lost it's contact due to the thermal grease drying out and going away.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

A motherboard component failure can also cause laptop to randomly shutdown/reboot? Try running the laptop in WIN10 (?) Safe Mode, and see if it still exhibiting the same issue?

I would recommend going into 'Event Viewer' and look at Windows logs for errors at the time of the shutdown/reboots? Though may be confusing to decipher if not used to reading such errors? In fact, I created a custom view in mine that basically filters for errors to quickly view any issues?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. That gives me place to start.

MrWizard
Check to see if the CPU fan is blowing
This could be an Over temp problem

Also remove the battery and power it only from the power supply as a test
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Might it be installing some updates? Machines will often shut itself down and restart a couple of times while installing updates