cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Standard definition from direct tv

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Is it still on,my rv is in storage last I read was that standard dif would be turned off on 31 Aug . Did that happen?
8 REPLIES 8

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only folks who would miss SD (all broadcasts from the 101 satellites) would be RVers and truckers using dome systems. Every other DTV customer would have no idea that SD disappeared.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
w4phj wrote:
My SD still working fine

X2 here.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post provides additional background information.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/news/end-coming-directv-announces-end-sd-service/

The AT&T forums have questions about the future of SD.

Speculation: The 101 satellite location is very valuable since it covers the 48 states and Alaska (Dish Network has eastern and western arc satellites). The 99 and 101 satellites are also centrally located. The numbers represent longitude and all 3 satellites are south of Texas.

DTV announced the end of SD first in 2019 and then 2020 but I suspect the apparent loss of DTV customers has been a significant factor.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
My SD still working fine
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just turned SD on and I still get it in the Phoenix area.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DTV has provided conflicting and lack of information concerning SD. This has continued with AT&T. As a result no one knows apparently including DTV/AT&T what the future holds. Recent reports suggest that DTV is for sale at a substational loss. Technology is changing TV/video entertainment.

8 years ago I could not get DTV SD in the Eugene/Florence OR area because DTV was only transmitting HD to that area. Other areas have reported the same.

I switched my home to HD and use that receiver in the RV so I have no concerns about SD.

Bob

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I have DirecTV (Pacific Northwest) .... Except for this forum, I've heard nothing regarding the demise of SD. My sticks and bricks has two HD-DVR's and two SD receivers in the bedrooms. The motorhome has a HD-DVR and one SD ... all are working fine. I've had no onscreen offers to switch, or snail mail asking the same question. Maybe it's a regional thing, but so far my service has been the same with no indication of switching.

I guess now I have the same question as you ... when and if what we hear is true.

If they do switch, I'll require all new equipment as what I'm using is several years old and before Wi-Fi (pre-Genie, & before streaming).
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, as a matter of fact they upgraded the software to ask if you want to switch to SD in bad weather. We have a KVH system on our boat which can only receive SD. It is working perfectly with only SD.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures