cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back order shocks

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Went to replace rancho shocks on 3500 gmc . The shocks have been on backorder for over 3 weeks and was told don't know when they will come in. So I change the order to blistein shocks. My question .. what are these shocks like with heavy load?
19 REPLIES 19

Bedlam
I had the adjustable Rancho shocks on my F250. I found once I tuned the front, I did not touch them but the rears would be adjusted based on whether the camper was loaded. I think you can get away with a fixed set up front, but you will not get that fine tuning of the 9000 series.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I put 9000's on the back and 5000's on the front of a 2015 Ram 4wd (with Rancho's engineers blessing). with camper on, even with socks on stiffest setting (I tried many settings) I would hit this dip in the road and the rear of the truck would start to oscillate and only way to stop it was to slow down.
Rancho said the rear ones might be bad so they replaced them. Same problem with new next rear set. So I returned them all under that 90 day free ride program.
I put the stock shocks back on and left it that way.

I also noticed the 9000 did not extend themselves if you compressed them, you had to pull them to extend them (but the 5000's did). I seem to recall when I questioned this they said they were not gas charged. But now I see on the website that are gas charged so maybe they redesigned the 9000's.

also many people said that to remove the adjuster and grease it as thy rust shut over time.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mike and Terry Ann wrote:
Buzzcutt , order them from Advance auto . Told they were made over sea and they don't know how long they will be on backorder. Current shocks are shot ( leaking) so I can't wait long. Given the times we live in now I don't have much of a choice.

check the part here. most are in stock
https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/chassis-suspension/section/suspension-components/part...
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcutt , order them from Advance auto . Told they were made over sea and they don't know how long they will be on backorder. Current shocks are shot ( leaking) so I can't wait long. Given the times we live in now I don't have much of a choice.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We just installed 4 Rancho 9000 XLs yesterday. Rear was easy, front was a pain. Dealer wanted too much for shocks and labor, over $1000. DIY cost us $380 total from Shocksurplus.com.

Haven't been out with them yet. We'll see if we can tell a difference.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had adjustable 9000s on my SRW with the same TC. They were a good bandaid for a combination that was stretched to the max. My F450 with Bilsteins is a much better combination and much better ride, but I also am not stretching the capability any more.

In any case, I think both shocks have a reason to be. If your setup is stretched near the limit, and you ride empty a lot, the 9000s are a pretty good solution.

I remember one time I was riding empty on a gravel road that I almost bounced the SRW off of at 25. I had my tailgate on, but otherwise, I was in hauling mode. My tire pressure was up and the 9000s were up as well. After turning the shocks down and dropping the pressure, I felt much safer. The point being, the 9000s really do slow the suspension and make it much stiffer. YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hemi Joel wrote:
Definitely wait for the adjustable Rancho 9000's. Every setup is different, requirements vary. With the 9000's you can adjust them to suit. With bilstien, you are stuck. I spent big $$ on Blistien 4600's, and they were worse than the old monroes I took off. I lost $$ getting rid of the bilsiens, and going with 9000's on the rear which I love, and monroe gas on the front, which are just barely OK, but better than the bilstien. They don't make 9000's for the front of my truck, I wish they did.

Adjustable is great...while it's working. Just wish the Rancho's were better quality. Knobs fail and then powder coat is garbage. Sure you get life time warrenty, but you still gotta pay for the removal and install.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely wait for the adjustable Rancho 9000's. Every setup is different, requirements vary. With the 9000's you can adjust them to suit. With bilstien, you are stuck. I spent big $$ on Blistien 4600's, and they were worse than the old monroes I took off. I lost $$ getting rid of the bilsiens, and going with 9000's on the rear which I love, and monroe gas on the front, which are just barely OK, but better than the bilstien. They don't make 9000's for the front of my truck, I wish they did.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just replaced the factory shocks with KYB Monomax shocks. Very pleased with the results

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I always had the problem on my Pickup camper trucks with needing shocks with more dampening to help with sway, but with camper off that same shock would be over hard and ride rough. I tried those adjustable ones but they had other problems (returned them)

now that I have a motorhome I don't have the option of removing the camper, but had same problem, the stock Mercedes shocks were designed for a van body and were too weak.
Than someone introduced me to Agile Offroad. This guy builds shocks for off road racers, but also happens to own a Mercedes Motorhome, so he went to work on re-valving a fox 2.0 shock for his motorhome. Best money I ever spend on rear shocks. solved my problem. Maybe call him and see if he has a valving solution for your truck that would work loaded or unloaded?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had no trouble getting mine in just a few days from Summit Racing, who did you order from?
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they are 9000 adjustable

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Love my almost new Bilstein 4600's, just finished a 3,000 mile trip down the Alcan with them, no porpoising, bouncing, or jarring ride.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded